Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I am setting up a new PC.  My Windows machine is going to be relegated to just editing video, while I'll have a new system for web development, and pretty much everything outside of video work.

I am looking for something that looks good and is reliable.  I want it to be fairly well supported, so I am not always having to go into the terminal just to get things working.  Security is a top concern.

It will be running on a fairly powerful computer, with a newer Nvidia card, and a ton of RAM.

In addition to a distro that I can run on my desktop, I also have a cheaper laptop I would like to drop linux onto.  So, in addition to something for my desktop, I'm also looking for something that will run well on a laptop with limited system resources.

If you don't mind me hijacking the thread a little bit, I'll expand TVGuy's second question a bit: what would be a good portable distro that isn't pretty, but can run on a potato (or, to be more precise, a whole plantation of potatoes of all shapes and forms)? Preferably if it can work entirely from RAM. I had some experience with Puppy Linux (which was acceptable, but permaroot isn't nice, and .pup packages are weird) and DSL, which was - and still is - okay, but hasn't been updated since forever, so maybe there's something better that I'm missing.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used a few Linux distros (even meme ones like Arch and Gentoo) and I'd say either Debian or Fedora are what I would use on the desktop. I would say that Fedora is easier to get up and running, along with it being more current if that's your kinda thing. Debian's stable branch has been my best Linux experience to date but you might have compatibility issues with newer hardware - if you're set on Debian, try testing, which is essentially Ubuntu without all the Canonical branding.

The only real differences between the two is that Fedora receives more regular update cycles so the kernel will be newer, along with a different package manager (dnf in Fedora, apt in Debian) and available packages. Functionally they're identical for the desktop user as you can customise either of them to your liking.

Edited by sertraline (see edit history)