Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Punishment in the army

I heard from a friend of mine about depaeration in the army.

Their platoon played a joke on the sergeant, and as a punishment, were forced to march for 24 hrs straight. No rest, no food or water, no bathroom breaks.

If someone was desperate enough, the only option for relief was to piss themselves. Doing this would result in being forced to do pushups, go change, then keep marching.

That sounds really awful to me...

In the Army I was in....this Sergeant would have gone to jail.!!    I know.....  for four years, I was one of those Sergeants and you could not do things like this.   I,m not going to try to explain to you why this would be a military crime, it's too involved, but it would be.   Any soldier who needed to 'go' on a route march would be allowed to drop out, go behind a tree and then catch up. (I would have left one of my fittest LCPLs with him to pace him back to position in the ranks) (which is hard enough in itself!!!!!)  Can you imagine the uproar among civilians and newspapers?? Headline News 'Soldiers forced to piss themselves!!!    Even in a nuclear, Biological and chemical war, we were shown ways to go to the toilet.....de-contam  and then get back into protective clothing.   It,s no fun inside a Tank or APC when  locked down (NBC) and someone need to 'go', (Extractor fans to full)!!!! but it can be done.   Any other ex soldiers here???  Oh and in the Professional Army that I was in, we didn,t do any of that   Yes sir......yes sir rubbish...that's for hollywood.    It s Yes Sergeant........Yes  Corporal............Yes Staff Sergeant.....Yes Sergeant major.     Any takers on why a Lance Corporal is a Lance Corporal???   or a Colour SGT called just that??? (not because he is black!)    I am something of  a Military Historian......boring stuff to many of you if not all I,m sure.

Edited by WetG/F (see edit history)

As a currently serving member in the Canadian Army, I have to agree with WetG/F's statement above. I haven't heard of anybody, let alone an entire platoon, being punished in this sort of manner. On any rucksack/forced marches troops are always allowed to drop out to the side and do their business and then catch up.

Of course there are cases where people have had accidents due to our lifestyle. During my Basic Training several years ago we had a week of sleep deprivation (no set sleep schedule, just sleep when you find time). One guy was pounding back caffeine pills to help him stay awake and this led to a weakened bladder along with an increase of urine output. During the march back from the training area, he couldn't hold it and ended up peeing his pants.

I feel bad for the female soldiers with us during times where we have to just pee in the bush because there are no porta-potties around. They don't really have it as easy as we do. Although we've all had to go #2 in a bag from time to time... That's always fun.

3 hours ago, WetG/F said:

In the Army I was in....this Sergeant would have gone to jail.!!    I know.....  for four years, I was one of those Sergeants and you could not do things like this.   I,m not going to try to explain to you why this would be a military crime, it's too involved, but it would be.   Any soldier who needed to 'go' on a route march would be allowed to drop out, go behind a tree and then catch up. (I would have left one of my fittest LCPLs with him to pace him back to position in the ranks) (which is hard enough in itself!!!!!)  Can you imagine the uproar among civilians and newspapers?? Headline News 'Soldiers forced to piss themselves!!!    Even in a nuclear, Biological and chemical war, we were shown ways to go to the toilet.....de-contam  and then get back into protective clothing.   It,s no fun inside a Tank or APC when  locked down (NBC) and someone need to 'go', (Extractor fans to full)!!!! but it can be done.   Any other ex soldiers here???  Oh and in the Professional Army that I was in, we didn,t do any of that   Yes sir......yes sir rubbish...that's for hollywood.    It s Yes Sergeant........Yes  Corporal............Yes Staff Sergeant.....Yes Sergeant major.     Any takers on why a Lance Corporal is a Lance Corporal???   or a Colour SGT called just that??? (not because he is black!)    I am something of  a Military Historian......boring stuff to many of you if not all I,m sure.

Im former u.s.c.g , in my branch of the service even during basic There was no way this could of happened . 

Heck they couldn't even train us past 2200 .

further what would the company commanders do, swap out?

Must be exaggeration . 

Also former army guy here, and I too call BS. Not to mention the platoon would most likely be marching 50/10 - 50 minutes of marching and 10 minutes of rest every hour - for max efficiency.

I was a tanker (gunner) and if I were to write some omo army fiction, that would be the setting I'd go for.

I never wet myself in the service, but when you're buttoned up in a Leo2, especially as the gunner, you can't really just go out to piss whenever you feel like it. I remember having to go quite bad during training in Germany once, but we halted for lunch so I could relieve myself in the bushes (as did a few others).

Also, tanker suits are all one piece, so they won't snag on anything if the crew has to evacuate. Makes peeing a bit more of a hassle. So yeah, the omo scenarios basically write themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-04-02 at 4:15 PM, Reeve said:

As a currently serving member in the Canadian Army, I have to agree with WetG/F's statement above. I haven't heard of anybody, let alone an entire platoon, being punished in this sort of manner. On any rucksack/forced marches troops are always allowed to drop out to the side and do their business and then catch up.

Of course there are cases where people have had accidents due to our lifestyle. During my Basic Training several years ago we had a week of sleep deprivation (no set sleep schedule, just sleep when you find time). One guy was pounding back caffeine pills to help him stay awake and this led to a weakened bladder along with an increase of urine output. During the march back from the training area, he couldn't hold it and ended up peeing his pants.

I feel bad for the female soldiers with us during times where we have to just pee in the bush because there are no porta-potties around. They don't really have it as easy as we do. Although we've all had to go #2 in a bag from time to time... That's always fun.

Fellow Canadian here. In the early 80's something of the sort like this happened. The platoon seargent is getting in trouble 

Not omo related but I was under the impression that army seals had to undergo a training where the simulate being stranded in cold water without flotation for 10+ hours while others attempt to drag them under. They have to tread water and if they go unconcious they get pulled out, revived and thrown back in. You'd pee in the water in that situation but that wouldn't be the primary issue. It seems inhumane but I thought military implied trainings that are implied to be human rights questionable. Its hard to prepare people for what they may encounter in a battle scenario without denying certain bodily needs.

News today...full of WW3.........in truth very few people have any ideas of the Horrors that are unleashed with the use of nuclear weapons.  Hollywood just does not prepare you.......If it happens, very bad times are ahead for those of you who have no idea how to prepare or make preparations.   Better to find a way to slip away from this world quietly (if you know what I mean). 

On 4/14/2017 at 2:47 PM, MangaKitten said:

Not omo related but I was under the impression that army seals had to undergo a training where the simulate being stranded in cold water without flotation for 10+ hours while others attempt to drag them under. They have to tread water and if they go unconcious they get pulled out, revived and thrown back in. You'd pee in the water in that situation but that wouldn't be the primary issue. It seems inhumane but I thought military implied trainings that are implied to be human rights questionable. Its hard to prepare people for what they may encounter in a battle scenario without denying certain bodily needs.

Ok not to be rude but seals are one of Navy's special forces army has delta force green berets and Rangers. Second BUDS (the training you referred to) is some of the hardest training the world has to offer. It prepares the best of the best for what they may face. 

7 hours ago, ArcticVortex said:

Ok not to be rude but seals are one of Navy's special forces army has delta force green berets and Rangers. Second BUDS (the training you referred to) is some of the hardest training the world has to offer. It prepares the best of the best for what they may face. 

No offense taken, I made this in reference to the legality of it all. I know seals are waaaay different than bootcamp trainees. I just figured laws don't really apply in the military. You go through what they put you through and don't complain.