Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What words do people hate?

I'm interested to see, because a lot of people don't like the word 'moist'...But I feel like that might not be such a common one here! I'm just intrigued to see because there's such a variety! 

(Also, if there's a reason for it, that would be interesting, too!) 

I hate the word 'chunks'. It honestly makes me think of tinned cheap pet food (the smell, specifically) or vomit, or a blocked sink, or clogged drain...it actually makes me feel a bit sick. I can't hear the word without physically and visibly cringing! 

6 hours ago, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

Words I hate period:

Feminist and it's variants: it's been hijacked by misandrics and female supremacists umpteen too many times for anyone to use it in it's original context and be taken seriously, and yet people fighting for gender equality won't let the toxic term die.

Words I hate in specific contexts:

pedophile when used as a synonym for child molester. Sexual attraction and sexual abuse are not the same thing, the former is not a prerequisite for the latter, and if pedophiles were as lacking in self-control as the prudes would have us believe, I would expect a majority of break-ups between consenting adults to end with the spurned lover raping the one who dumped them and the majority of unrequited loves leading to rape as well.

Racist when applied to someone pointing out statistics that paint a group in a negative light or raises valid concerns about a particular group. Doubly so when the group in question isn't a racial group(Muslims being the big one in current US politics) or when the person making the comments is asking for people to assure them their fears are unfounded or at least blown out of proportion.

au and variants(short for alternative universe) when applied to fanfics that could take place in the canon universe with few, if any, modifications to the canon universe's rules. I don't care how much events are altered or how far off the rails of the original plot you go, if the setting is still more or less the same as canon, at most the fic represents an alternate timeline. The Harry Potter fandom is particularly bad about this, with a large number of fics that follow Harry or one of his contemporaries through seven years at Hogwarts being called au by the author or a reviewer at the first sign of events that contradict the books.

Classes of words I hate:

Acronyms: I realize that even in typing, writing one word opposed to an entire sentence saves time, but unless it something that has become such a common word that most people have forgotten it was an acronym(such as scuba or laser), they just confuse the hell out of me. To make matters worse, most people just assume you're familiar with the particular variety of alphabet soup they're using and don't even have the common courtesy to type out the full name the first time they use the acronym in a post. Bonus annoyance if it's an acronym that is usually spelled out, but is close enough to a pronounceable word my screenreader tries pronouncing it or it's usually pronounced as a word but isn't spelled how it's pronounced or the pronunciation requires letters not in the actual acronym.

The racist bit I completely get...because I don't like generalising a whole group because I am afraid of being accused of being racist, even if it is just statistics. It's a bit like there are more heterosexual people than homosexual...it doesn't mean I'm hating on the homosexual people by calling them a minority, it just is fact. 

Acronyms....I've needed the explanation of why acronyms are so annoying for such a long time, I hate them! Like you said, ones that re so well known people forget they're an acronym is fine...but then others...irritating things. It can completely ruin a price of writing because you don't know what they mean or have to study the internet to find out! 

4 hours ago, Misteriousmr said:

"Barf". It sounds gross, it is gross, no, no thank you.

"Dung". Its such a hard, nasty word.

"Gawd" (like: Oh my gawwwwd). I can't help but hear it in an annoying, nazaly, 15-year-old girl voice

Your opinion on 'Barf' sounds similar to mine on 'chunks'....I really can't do much if it involves the word chunks. It honestly makes me feel quite sick just thinking about it haha! 

Acronyms! Where I work, they love them - the whole industry. Different parts of the industry have their own acronyms too. Some of the ones that we use are so commonly used that there's little point in spelling the whole thing out - anyone who doesn't know what they stand for wouldn't feel much more enlightened if they were told what the individual words were anyway! Things like codes used to refer to individual locations, though - some people throw them around like they're words in the dictionary, even the really obscure ones, and I doubt there's many people who know the full set of 700+ off by heart! Nothing spoils a good story more than having to stop reading every few seconds to find out just where these mysterious places actually are...

"Backronyms". Some of the terms that we use go back a long, long way, back to when codewords were used to keep old-fashioned telegraphic messages as short as possible. For each and every one, someone will be able to say it stands for. Usually someone else will have a different idea too. Most of them are pretty tenuous!

"Moist". I haven't got a problem with the word, and I used to be able to use it quite innocently. It's difficult to take anyone seriously when they use it in a perfectly legitimate context now though!

"Chunks". Yes, definitely a bit of an association there! Probably not helped by the time I recently had to deal with (or rather cope with) the aftermath of a particularly poorly colleague at work. Many chunks.

Above all else, though - "Brexit"!!

It's not the words, per se, but who uses them and in what context. Like, for example, I kind of like baby-esque words (potty, tinkle etc.) only if they're used by characters/people of the right age category associated to them. I think that, if adults try to use them to sound cute, it's just cringe worthy. I'm a stickler for how things sound, so it has to be just right for me to like it. I have to fit the mental picture associated to the words with the one saying them for me to regard them as cute.

Abbreviations I've learned to deal with, as well as acronyms. In my workplace, we have acronyms for nearly every system we use, so I've had to suck it up and get used to them. Abbreviations are useful by a writer's perspective but, as earlier people have pointed out, only if they're used in full firstly before having their associated abbreviation/acronym in brackets next to them, or vice-versa. I do that quite a bit in my works if I'm using unfamiliar abbreviations/acronyms, or ones which may change based on place on the globe.

Going by the closer of my last paragraph, I really can't stand people using differing terms from ones I'm familiar with without explaining what they are. I get why people may do that, with differing cultures and all, but is it really that hard to explain a, shall we say, continental word to an ignorant Brit like I am when you use it for the first time? I always try to clarify the words I use to others in my works, like 'Celsius' to 'Fahrenheit; and all that stuff. I just find it common courtesy to make sure people know what I mean.

I can't stand 'Leet Speek' or whatever it's called. I don't want to spend 20 minutes translating a single sentence of text because some 'Genius' decided to put it all in 'Leet Speek' instead of basic English. It's just rude and selfish. Along the same lines, I can't take 'Chav' talk/'Gangsta Rappa' talk, like the kind of stuff you hear in those godawful excuses for music called 'Raps', which are just talking a bunch of nonsense into a microphone to a repetitive beat in my opinion, for the same reason. Why must people invent their own language when there are numerous other already existing languages which are suitable for use?

I do not have a strong feeling to many words, but if there is a kind of word that makes me feel sick to my stomach it is when people take a word that has something to do with something sexual and try to turn it into something cute.

Let me tell you being in the AB/DL community I come across a few of those words a lot and the word "cummies" it is the worst it really does makes me feel sick to my stomach. I have nothing against sexual words for sexual stuff, but there is a fine line between cute and sexy so I would really appreciate it if people could keep those two things a bit away from each other. (I was not even going to say anything about it, but after seeing this word a lot over the past week I needed to rant about it a little.)

41 minutes ago, Misteriousmr said:

Yeah but, like...

Aren't you like...almost blind and stuff?

Isn't the mind the most powerful sex organ of them all? :tongue:

There are no  English words I hate. In my native language, there are a few. Any word I learned after I was 12? Perfectly fine. And that category includes the entire English language. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2017 at 0:25 AM, homeanddry said:

Acronyms! Where I work, they love them - the whole industry. Different parts of the industry have their own acronyms too. Some of the ones that we use are so commonly used that there's little point in spelling the whole thing out - anyone who doesn't know what they stand for wouldn't feel much more enlightened if they were told what the individual words were anyway! Things like codes used to refer to individual locations, though - some people throw them around like they're words in the dictionary, even the really obscure ones, and I doubt there's many people who know the full set of 700+ off by heart! Nothing spoils a good story more than having to stop reading every few seconds to find out just where these mysterious places actually are...

"Backronyms". Some of the terms that we use go back a long, long way, back to when codewords were used to keep old-fashioned telegraphic messages as short as possible. For each and every one, someone will be able to say it stands for. Usually someone else will have a different idea too. Most of them are pretty tenuous!

"Moist". I haven't got a problem with the word, and I used to be able to use it quite innocently. It's difficult to take anyone seriously when they use it in a perfectly legitimate context now though!

"Chunks". Yes, definitely a bit of an association there! Probably not helped by the time I recently had to deal with (or rather cope with) the aftermath of a particularly poorly colleague at work. Many chunks.

Above all else, though - "Brexit"!!

I've just been reading through the replies and I'm having a bit of a giggle, but I am now quite curious about your poorly colleague....but I also am not sure if I want to hear the story or not! 

I find it extremely interesting how so many people have different reasons for hating different words...brexit, though! Yeap!! 

21 hours ago, MysteryGirl373 said:

I've just been reading through the replies and I'm having a bit of a giggle, but I am now quite curious about your poorly colleague....but I also am not sure if I want to hear the story or not! 

If it not too graphic an image (look away now if so)...

Imagine a colleague chundering vigourously in a relatively confined space (actually, probably a comprehensive evacuation from both ends, given the shoes tellingly left in the middle of it all) before being whisked away by ambulance, then having it all left there to stew for an hour or more with the windows shut and the heater on, then having to enter that space for a few minutes before the cleaners could finally get in and work their magic!

So I personally LOVE the word "Moist", I think it's wonderfully expressive and virtually onomatopoeia... But it's one of those words that is widely hated so it's a little surprising (though still quite plausible) that people hadn't encountered that one...

I HATE the word "cunt", it's just so utterly crude and unnecessary but unfortunately seems to be growing in popularity these days.

I too am not a fan of acronyms where people fail to explain them, and most of all I hate hate hate words spawned largely or purely by the internet, especially when they're subsequently shortened before they're even in common usage. An example I came across today was "weeaboo", a term I only heard of a few months ago and which in itself just sounds utterly nonsensical and phonetically rather pathetic, but someone in a chat used the word "Weeb" which as it turns out is the shortened form of the aforementioned non-existent word. Luckily it was a friendly chat with people willing to explain and not judge me for my lack of internet-smarts, but still it just made me cringe for the debasement of the English language.

On the topic of debasing the language I definitely agree chav talk and rap talk, any gangster type of thing and any mode of speech which seems to deliberately simplify and devalue English annoys the hell out of me...

On the topic of acronyms;

On 02/04/2017 at 1:18 PM, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

...most can stream DVD if not HD-quality video

I assume you mean Digital Versatile Disks, and High Definition? :tongue: (just teasing!)

I hate "Selfies" more because of the weird empty vanity they represent than the word itself, and because people look like utter plebs (a word I DO like) when taking them, and "feminazis" because the inclusion of "nazis" in the word makes it highly offensive and it annoys me that there even is a need to distinguish between feminists who genuinely want and try to make a change for good in the world, and those who just want to rant and hate. Also because I don't think there should be any need for either, if humanity hadn't taken so damn long to figure out we shouldn't discriminate...

Generally though I love the complexities of the English language, the veritable plethora of compelling vocabulary can stimulate the imagination... And then there's "cunt"... I mean, why?

(Also I love smileys/emoticons/emojis/whatever the hell the internet is calling them these days :grin::wink::tongue::happy: )

On 4/26/2017 at 4:09 PM, LunasAuditor said:

I HATE the word "cunt", it's just so utterly crude and unnecessary but unfortunately seems to be growing in popularity these days.

I was thinking about that the other day, and funnily enough we were talking about it today (a colleague has been throwing it around enough for it to be noted by others - in an environment where there's loads of swearing anyway). I think it's just about the last remaining word that isn't used pretty much routinely. Once that's gone, what will we have left to use in those situations where you really need a particularly strong word to use against someone?!