Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

In a remarkable turn of events, HuffPo lauds John-Michael Williams, proprietor of brick-and-mortar ABDL outfit Tykables, as a "sex hero," as part of Voice Editorial Director Noah Michelson's Sex Heroes series. This series "explores the lives and experiences of individuals who are challenging, and thereby changing, mainstream culture’s understanding of sex and sexuality."

This is good publicity, y'all! In fact, this is probably the most celebratory description of ABDL folk I could imagine.

Here is the link a second time: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tykables-adult-baby-storefront_us_58d127f7e4b0be71dcf7e9ba?

13 hours ago, jc22jc said:

The article doesnt try to explain why this person might be a hero.

Did he save some kid from a burning building or something?

"explores the lives and experiences of individuals who are challenging, and thereby changing, mainstream culture’s understanding of sex and sexuality." This is enough isn't it? It's basically people challenging the mainstream culture. This is heroic in a sense, because of the risks associated and because it ultimately helps a tonne of people. How many people here are in the closet (raises hand) and this is a harm to them?

20 hours ago, jc22jc said:

The article doesnt try to explain why this person might be a hero.

Did he save some kid from a burning building or something?

Did Rosa Parks save a kid from a burning building? All she did was sit on a bus seat! Now, I'm not saying that this dude is a Rosa Parks type figure, but the point is that there's more than one way to be a hero.

Ian flemming, that's true. You only have to look at the link in the article to a psychology website, where the top picture is an overweight dude who looks mentally disabled. Maybe if mainstream sources used more pictures of hot girls, people's first reaction wouldn't be "this is something gross made for gross people."

I have to say that this article is a great step in the right direction. But how does autism have anything to do with ABDL? You don't have to be autistic in order to have things like stress and social anxiety, so why bring it up? In fact introversion in general is a whole separate thing from autism when it comes to social anxiety. Or you could have a stressful job or a thousand different factors that cause stress.

14 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

I have to say that this article is a great step in the right direction. But how does autism have anything to do with ABDL? You don't have to be autistic in order to have things like stress and social anxiety, so why bring it up? In fact introversion in general is a whole separate thing from autism when it comes to social anxiety. Or you could have a stressful job or a thousand different factors that cause stress.

There is a big correlation between abdl, and autism . 

No idea why?

but it's a known thing on the boards

12 minutes ago, ian flemming said:

There is a big correlation between abdl, and autism . 

No idea why?

but it's a known thing on the boards

Okay, so please throw me a link or something so that I can understand this a bit better. Saying that "it's a well known fact and you should know this." is more or less insulting me for not "getting it." And doesn't actually help me.

18 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Okay, so please throw me a link or something so that I can understand this a bit better. Saying that "it's a well known fact and you should know this." is more or less insulting me for not "getting it." And doesn't actually help me.

No insult intenteded .

its not something I've seen stats on. 

But if you circulate through different abdl forms , or go to many munches you see it. 

Even doing a search on this site brings up some pretty good anadotal evidence.

there is a autism specific message board( that I will not link here) that covers some of the cross over as well .

you can go to Spokane girls site.  Called diaperedmother.

she covers it a bit as well.....

too the the root of your question , I'm just as clueless as you as to why the huff post focused on this so heavy . 

And your absolutely right you don't need to be autistic to enjoy this. Or even introverted .

(I'm super extroverted)

I feel like people enjoy this (abdl)from such a large subsection of the population that we can just about claim any group of people whether they be from any religious, ethnic, economic strata, or sexual orientation. They are "our" people.

49 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

The way this video breaks it down, it's actually pretty logical that the two would be correlated. The video is about furries, but everything is still applicable. Basically, a fetish is where you get caught in a feedback loop where you were able to access good sexual feelings through an object, so you keep going back and doing it again and again until that pathway to your sexuality is the easiest (or only) one. Since pretty much the defining characteristic of the set of traits we call autism is a tendency to get fixated on things, the more autistic your brain is, the more fertile a breeding ground it is for fetishes. 

10 hours ago, rachelkirwan said:

"explores the lives and experiences of individuals who are challenging, and thereby changing, mainstream culture’s understanding of sex and sexuality." This is enough isn't it? It's basically people challenging the mainstream culture. This is heroic in a sense, because of the risks associated and because it ultimately helps a tonne of people. How many people here are in the closet (raises hand) and this is a harm to them?

3 hours ago, ian flemming said:

Guys, we need too look at this as a important step for our community.

i think it's interesting how much they wheeled out the autism link . Very cool article .

@ragtime Thank you very much for this link.  

I quote from the Psychology today article " Childs Play  A brief look at paraphilic infantalism

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/in-excess/201310/childs-play

Posted Oct 25, 2013

"One of the reasons so little is known about infantilism is that adult babies do not want to cease engaging in their behavior. For most adult babies, their behavior doesn’t constitute a medical condition that requires treatment or cause any functional impairment, personal distress or distress to others. Those who do end up seeking psychological or psychiatric help may do so because another individual (such as their sexual partner) encourages or forces them to seek help."

@rachelkirwan I think you are spot on. @ian flemmingI agree. very cool article. aI do think it is a shame that they featured the autism spectrum association. There are a great many people who are not on the autistic spectrum who are in the ABDL community. There is great variability within the community. For example, some are all out infantile with cribs, pacifiers, onsies, etc. while others just prefer diapers over regular underwear. At least two people participating in this thread in thread are Doctoral level educated.

The part I quoted from the Psychology Today article makes a very important point. Many of us do not want to change but might be pressured to change by others.

This man profiled in HuffPost is a true hero in the fight to have all people recognized for the totality of their being. If some aspect of their life is outside the norms does not mean that they cannot be very important contributors. This man is doing a very important thing.

People who are ABDL in any form are shamed by society because it is so misunderstood. Had my ex-wife been truthful about her feelings from the beginning I would not have pursued the relationship, I would have been quite happy to wear diapers whenever I wanted, and I did often set up "accidents" and sometimes used plastic panties. The one thing I would say about the ABDL store in the HuffPost article does seem to have one omission. I did not see plastic panties or cloth diapers. The training pants look interesting.

In my case I have worn diapers full time for 18 years due to a spinal cord injury that abolished voluntary control. I now cannot feel so I get no pleasure, but my previous DL life certainly made it much easier for me to accept my new condition. I fully participate in activities as much as I want and some people respect me, but they, except the physicians and nurses and health care workers, see the wheelchair but not the diapers.  

However, the life-long DL part of me caused great self-esteem issues that caused me to hold back socially. For a very long time I thought I was the only person in the world who had the omorashi and omutsu fetishes. I never found a partner who accepted that part of me. 

Ramble over.

Edited by scinosensation
try to improve my thoughts in this very thoughtful thread (see edit history)
On 25/03/2017 at 2:12 PM, satyr said:

Did Rosa Parks save a kid from a burning building? All she did was sit on a bus seat! Now, I'm not saying that this dude is a Rosa Parks type figure, but the point is that there's more than one way to be a hero.

Maybe the guy should have sat on a bus in a diaper and refused to move when asked.

But I still wouldnt call him a hero.

23 hours ago, InconSteiner said:

Going to need a source for this.

Source would be the video I linked to. That sentence was just a slightly florid summary of the guy's interpretation of the correlation between autism and fetishes. And I mean, it makes sense as a hypothesis, doesn't it? Is it surprising or illogical that autistic folks, who are prone to fixating on things, would also be prone to fixating on things in a sexual manner? I would be more surprised if that were not the case.

I think we're getting a lot i knee jerk reaction to the autism comments. 

Just to remind everybody , we're all on the same team.. 

supernerds comments are not inaccurate . 

We are all

subject to our fixation and are fetishes it's why we are here. 

Im super proud that we have autistic people amongst are ranks . 

Think how neat that really is , that this fetish is a welcoming place for a group of people that see the rest of the world as overwhelming or over stimulating . 

As I said previously I don't understand why they focused on the article so heavy on the autism side of it.

but as a community I encourage us to welcome it, and them .

Guest Unimatrix0

Having both Asperger's and social anxiety, this article struck a particular chord with me. It makes me happy to see our community presented to the public in a positive light like this. :D

@supernerd222 it does make sense, but the way I read your post I thought you had a peer reviewed article or something, I'll admit I didn't watch the video, but the description lacked any links to a proper source, I was just hopeful for something scientific, I hope I didn't come off as aggressive. As someone who's been into this practically my whole life, I really want to see more research done. (I don't have headphones and don't want to risk anyone hearing the video, I intend to watch it when I have some alone time.

First of all, I think this is a great article. Great for the ABDL community.

As for the possible (yes, I'm only willing to call it possible at this point) association between ABDL and the autistic spectrum, I somewhat see it. Looking at my own life (both as a child and as an adult), I've shown tendencies of autism/Asperger's, but I was never officially diagnosed. And it's worth mentioning that I saw numerous doctors/psychologist/psychiatrists (dozens) as a child due to behavioral/emotional issues. NONE of them were willing to label me as Autistic or place me on the autistic spectrum. According to these "professionals" who I saw as child, I am (was?) NOT officially on the autistic spectrum. But I kinda call BS on that. I've examined my behavior and my actions. In my view, I'm probably somewhere on the "autistic spectrum". I mean, for fuck's sake, I can see the autism bleeding out of my very own writing (lol). But nobody (other than myself) has ever labeled me as such. And whether I am or am not autistic, who cares? Autism is just a word. It's just a fucking label. But it doesn't matter. I'm me. Autistic or not. The only thing that's important is that I am myself.

If I am indeed (or anyone else for that matter) "autistic" (or somewhere on that spectrum), then who cares? People are people. Why do we have to be labeled? I mean, in my view, EVERYONE, is "autistic", "gay", "OCD" and "ADD" to SOME extent. Of course, some people are more "autistic", "gay", "ODC" and "ADD" than others, And, obviously, some people are VERY LOW on these respective spectrums. But even if you're extremely low on any given spectrum doesn't mean you aren't on it. That's why these are SPECTRUMS. Some people are high on them, some people are low on them, and some people fall in the middle. We're all different. I'm only using homosexuality, OCD, ADD and autism as examples, but if you're somewhat intelligent, then you should get the point.

There probably is some truth that those who are higher on the autistic spectrum (and in my opinion EVERYONE is on the autistic spectrum to some degree, even if its extremely minor) ARE more likely to be ABDL. I'll repeat for emphasis: those who are higher on the autistic spectrum are probably more likely to be ABDL. Note the word "probably" in that statement. I have nothing to back up these viewpoints, but I don't think anyone is going to argue here. EVERYONE is at least a little gay. EVERYONE is at least a little ADD. EVERYONE is at least a little OCD. EVERYONE is at least a little autistic. I don't really know what I'm ranting about here, but I guess what I'm trying to say most (but not all) human traits/characteristics in general function much like a spectrum (at least in my view). Things aren't so black and white - they almost NEVER are. Again, I can't back any of this up, I have no sources, these are just my own theories. So take them with a grain of salt. Everything I said here was only plausible - NOT proven. But I don't know, hopefully this paragraph was useful somehow.

Edited by poads (see edit history)