Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Adult diaper commercials

Anyone else like TV ads for incontinence products?

I love the different ways they approach the problem of marketing an embarassing product. Depend has been going for a really bold approach lately, starting with the underwarenes campaign. Even now that it's over, most of their ads have shots of models wearing depends. They advertise purely on form, though. Their ads generally only have oblique references to actually peeing in the product. Their Mexican and American Youtube channels feature videos of good-looking women putting pants on over depends.

Some of my all-time favorite diaper commercials, though, are these two that Tena put out in the 00s. They're some of the very few adult diaper commercials that involve people actually putting their diapers to use, instead of just showing them off and doing everyday tasks. I love the visual pun that explicitly spells out what's happening while still being a little bit coy about it. And of course, the desperation is great.

I like those Tena commercials because they use innuendo to sort of imply that you're watching grown women pee their diapers. There's another Tena commercial that maybe tries to do that, but I honestly can't tell because it's so oblique. There's a lady on a bus, the bus gets stuck in traffic, and she reacts kind of ambivalently. Is it trying to say that she didn't freak out that the bus is stuck because she can pee herself if things get to that point? Surely she'd still be annoyed that she's going to be late for work.

What are your favorite adult diaper commercials?

I've never really liked most adult diaper commercials. I get that it's embarrassing and most people don't want to advertise that thing but as a DL, it just doesn't really appeal to me. I'm not offended or whatever. It's just banal. The cuteness factor of baby diapers and goodnites appeals to my AB side because they actively appeal to that side of me but if they made an adult diaper commercial stressing comfort, convenience and just ease of use, then sure, I guess that's how you'd get to me but I'm not asking for those ads to be made.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really care one way or the other.

On the one hand I like diapers and all, but on the other I prefer other brands that don't really need to be advertised on TV. If it's simple medical stuff like Tena or Depends it's advertised as a solution to an embarrassing problem. I don't want to unite my sexual fantasy world(s) and the real world.

In society at large diapers are either something for babies or the punchline to a joke about old people. If that ever changes I imagine it will take a while to do so. But diapers like what Tykables, Bambino and ABU put out are probably more of a fetish thing than a medical thing so they wouldn't get much advertisement on TV, I'd imagine. I mean you don't see ads for sex swings, ball gags or dragon dildos.

Not quite sure this is appropriate for this topic, but I'll post my thought anyway. I kind of wish ABDL-esque stuff was more readily available to mainstream audiences in a positive manner. I mean like, for example, I watch a lot of anime, and I see tons of fan service geared towards furries, etc. But I see almost nothing resembling omorashi or ABDL activities. Maybe once in a blue moon, I'll see a series with a one-off scene that features a girl who needs to go pee, but that's it. I've never seen an actual decent anime series featuring diapers, unless an infant character was involved. But like, there's tons of fan-created content, so clearly there IS a demand. Yet, it doesn't seem to exist.

Sorry to rant here, but why are diapers so taboo anyway? If you get past the fact that you're sitting in your bodily waste (which was literally inside you anyway), then you have nothing more than a comforting, convenient and attractive disposable undergarment. People do realize that diapers can be used just for urine, right? Is pee really that edgy? I mean, we have an entire freaking forum right here of people who generally for the most part LIKE pee!  If just ONE decent anime featured a girl who was, say, incontinent and had to wear diapers, and they presented it in a cute and attractive manner, I bet ABDL would instantly become less publicly taboo... well at least in Japan. I hardly watch any American stuff these days though... anime is just so much better.

Also, Captain Cranberry, I was actually at my neighbor's the other day. He had Comedy Central on, and it was like 3am. There was a freaking infomercial for sex toys, dildos, pleasure tools, etc. So those advertisements do indeed exist in the mainstream. But a nice, harmless, comforting diaper for larger (not infant) users is just too "unusual" apparently. Yeah, I get the fact that a sex toy is generally more popular for recreational purposes than an adult diaper, but well, I feel left out!

I need some sleep.

On 3/16/2017 at 3:35 PM, poads said:

I think these commercials are awesome. It would be cool if they pushed the envelope even further though.

Yeah, one of my go-to fantasies is diaper ads of 2020 when they've pushed the envelope to its breaking point. The Depend Underwareness ads broke new ground by showing real people openly wearing the product for more than a second, which I don't think any ad had done before. And the Tena ads are pretty unique in how explicitly they implied that the characters were wetting themselves. What still seems to be off-limits is a character explicitly acknowledging that they've had an accident, either addressing another character or braking the fourth wall. I think we'll get there within a couple of ad campaigns the way things are going.

49 minutes ago, jackthestripper said:

I've always been more of an overactive bladder commercial person myself, but I like diaper ads too. I especially dug it when Depends was giving out all those samples, they still are but underawareness kicked ass as a campaign and I say that not only as a DL just like, as an ad campaign critic I guess.

Now that's interesting. I personally got the impression that underwareness was great for us weirdos but off-putting and uncomfortable for most other people. I don't think there were many takers on the proposal to post pictures of yourself in depends for charity. And when I think about the odd times when adult diapers or incontinence comes up in conversation, I didn't notice any difference from before the campaign to after in terms of stigmatization. I felt that it was kind of disingenuous, actually. It started up shortly after the ice bucket challenge meme, and it was pretty obvious that they were riding off the success of that to sell more diapers. What did you like about it?