Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Writing Advice

Guest phoenix80803

Hey Nikeryda, just a suggestion, but this is what I do. 

1. Put indents where you start a new idea or line of dialog.

2. Draw inspiration from real life. 

3. Don't rush the plot. I've been told that many times. 

I've written quite a bit of fiction (not professionally) and I've found one tip to be useful above all else, especially when I feel discouraged about my ability: write drunk and edit sober.  You don't need to actually take a shot before you sit down to write, but what I'm saying is this: no matter how you feel about your writing on the first draft, just get something down on the paper.  If you still don't like it by the time you're editing, you can cut it out.  Hell, 50% of the stuff I write gets taken out when I edit, and 90% of the rest gets changed.  This is also where most of my formatting, word-choosing, and paragraph-structuring take place.

And here's another piece of advice along the same lines: if you feel you aren't getting any good stories using this method (or whatever other method you like), just post one anyway.  Even if it's terrible.  The people of omo.org tend to be very nice, I think, and you'll get a lot of good advice in the comments.  You can also feel free to PM me something if you want me to look at it from a writing perspective :)

Good luck!

Getting story inspiration is one thing, and I'm not sure I have great advice for it other than just write about what turns you on. However, in terms of style and flow, which it seems like you're asking about here, my main advice is: do a lot of reading, especially of literary fiction.

Honestly, that's the most efficient way to learn style. Somebody can try to list rules – most of which will be wrong at least 40% of the time – or you can learn style from the great stylists. Read, then read some more.

The simple truth is there is no right or wrong way to format a piece of fiction, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Yes. Okay. There are a few guidelines as to the use of paragraphing and such like but for the purpose of non-professional writing, in general, it will be overlooked provided the content is good. 

My biggest tip would be to write from the heart and don't overthink it, you'll be amazed how things seem to click when you write from the heart.

19 minutes ago, Spurgle said:

The simple truth is there is no right or wrong way to format a piece of fiction, do whatever you feel comfortable with. Yes. Okay. There are a few guidelines as to the use of paragraphing and such like but for the purpose of non-professional writing, in general, it will be overlooked provided the content is good. 

My biggest tip would be to write from the heart and don't overthink it, you'll be amazed how things seem to click when you write from the heart.

I just want to make sure it's also easy for others to read.  I don't want a huge wall of text with no formatting or dialogue that's barely English.  I get what you mean by writing from my heart though.  I defiantly have no shortage of ideas running through my head.  I have all the fantasies that I've never told anyone about before that need to be expressed. 

27 minutes ago, Nikeryda said:

I just want to make sure it's also easy for others to read.  I don't want a huge wall of text with no formatting or dialogue that's barely English. 

You start a new paragraph when; beginning a new idea or making a particular point. 

To contrast different ideas or information. 

When you feel your readers may need a pause, in other words to break up a long extract. 

And when you are ending your introduction or beginning your conclusion. 

Those are the fundamental rules of paragraphing, I hope they help :)