Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Is living alone a thing of the past?

I've been noticing alot of people in this group that mention the inability to have wet fun due to roommates. .

I'm in my 30's and I remember moving out and getting my first apartment ,By myself . I was 18 years old and it cost me 575 usd a month. 

Crappy neighborhood in seattle , but it was mine.

Are those days totally gone?

ive always lived alone, or while I was married with my wife. 

Is it just the rental markets across the world had gone crazy , or is the younger generation just more willing to live with others?

Here in Florida it's pretty achievable. The job is the hard part. It sucks you can be psychotically obstinate and lazy, and SSI will give you enough for your own place, while hard working people are stuck getting strung on by shitty minimum wage jobs living with their parents. Last two part time jobs I got had no consistent schedule so they can demand you whenever they want, and you can't pursue another job, so you're stuck making at most 250usd every two weeks. Quit and you and your mom go hungry, stay there and pawn everything that means anything to you, and maybe you can afford an overdose because you sold your gun to eat.

I live alone. Don't like having people in my apartment.

Although in my opinion, living with others makes it more enjoyable. Having only certain opportunities to practice it used to get me excited about the concept, I'd be looking for days when I could have the house to myself. Ever since I've set off on my own I've gotten bored of omorashi completely. Maybe it's just me, but being able to do it any time I want sort of took the magic out of it. I wouldn't mind going back to a time when I only had a few windows here and there, it might revive my interest.

Edited by 211 (see edit history)

I live with roommates, but we all live separately if that makes sense. I have my own bedroom and bathroom and only the common areas such as the kitchen and living room are shared. I mostly stick to my room though. Although I'd love to not have any, I chose this because it's much cheaper and it's really not as bad as one might think. We all keep to ourselves mostly. It can get loud sometimes, but I have music and earplugs for sleeping. 

In case it wasn't obvious, I don't choose my roommates. It's a collage housing type apartment so they are randomly chosen unless you and some friends all sign up at the beginning of your lease. Rent is separate too, so regardless what happens I'm only responsible for my part. Also most of the bills are paid including internet. Wifi sucks ass though.

There's absolutely no way I could live on my own without working 2 jobs to hit 50-60 hours a week, and even then I'd have to cut back what little spending I have.

It's debatable whether moving out alone at 18 was a sustainable economic practice in the first place, although I think it can be if we started building affordable apartments instead of the $1200+/month studio and 1 bedroom places that the Midwest US is becoming increasingly known for lmao, but it's certainly a thing of the past at this point.

12 minutes ago, HPattern said:

There's absolutely no way I could live on my own without working 2 jobs to hit 50-60 hours a week, and even then I'd have to cut back what little spending I have.

It's debatable whether moving out alone at 18 was a sustainable economic practice in the first place, although I think it can be if we started building affordable apartments instead of the $1200+/month studio and 1 bedroom places that the Midwest US is becoming increasingly known for lmao, but it's certainly a thing of the past at this point.

Here one bedroom apartments under 600usd are one of the most common modes of living, but as I said earlier, trying to make 600usd in a month isn't easy, and Florida is full of violence and poverty.

Not sure. I'm 21 and I still live with my mother and step-father but I know plenty of people who live by themselves or with roommates. Perhaps it depends on where you live.

2 hours ago, Ir2 said:

Not sure. I'm 21 and I still live with my mother and step-father but I know plenty of people who live by themselves or with roommates. Perhaps it depends on where you live.

It depends on how you live, really. I'm currently living with my gradnma (or more likely she's living with me), because she needs my help because of situations. She did everything she could do for me when I was a wee kid, so now it's my turn to take care of her.

It's really dependent on your situation. I live alone in a ~700 sq ft loft in one of the most unaffordable cities in the world, but I make it work by having a well-paying job, not owning a car, having no debts, and generally living semi-frugally.

I did my time living in crack houses and basement suites when I was in school, and I will never live with a roommate again. I have enough roommate stories, I don't need to accumulate any more.

33 minutes ago, supernerd222 said:

It's really dependent on your situation. I live alone in a ~700 sq ft loft in one of the most unaffordable cities in the world, but I make it work by having a well-paying job, not owning a car, having no debts, and generally living semi-frugally.

I did my time living in crack houses and basement suites when I was in school, and I will never live with a roommate again. I have enough roommate stories, I don't need to accumulate any more.

Absolutely with you .

Guest Unimatrix0

I live with my grandparents. This being California with astronomical housing rates, and ongoing mental health issues impeding my employment, it's unlikely that I'l be living alone, as desperately as I want to. I might get the house when they finally croak, but I don't think they've written a will and I'm not sure if they're with it enough to make one now. And, uh, I'd need to get the house de-hoarded. :/

10 hours ago, Ninji said:

It sucks you can be psychotically obstinate and lazy, and SSI will give you enough for your own place

1. Disabled people aren't "psychotically obstinate and lazy"

2. At least here, every apartment requires that you make three times the rent every month, while SSI doesn't even cover ONE MONTH'S RENT in many places (that's without paying for anything first, like food, gas, insurance, etc). Applying for Section 8 is a thing, but literally everywhere has a long waiting list so unless you have somewhere to stay until your name comes up, you're SOL.

3. Have you ever applied for SSI/SSDI? You will be denied. If you are disabled you will probably be denied two or three times before you finally get it, the process can take years and you have a good chance of having to hire a lawyer to appeal. Don't act like people get on SSI on a freaking whim just to get free money, it's not how it works.

*wipes hands of that*

Ahem.

Honestly? Probably.

When I worked full time with overtime, I didn't make enough to get an efficiency apartment. I shopped everywhere within 50 miles and found nothing below $675 (definitely didn't earn three times this).

Pretty much the only option is to live with someone else and split the expenses. I actually like the idea of living with others rather than living alone, and I got used to keeping my fetish private while living with family, so that's not a big bother to me personally.

2 hours ago, ShadowDog said:

1. Disabled people aren't "psychotically obstinate and lazy"

I never said anything about disabled people. I implied SSI will give you money for being psychotically obstinate and lazy, which they have, and I've seen.

I got a rod in my leg, and a cognitive disorder they can't even identify, but I still feel like I'm able to work. That's why I'm in voc rehab.

Never mentioned disabled people, until just now.

9 minutes ago, Ninji said:

I never said anything about disabled people. I implied SSI will give you money for being psychotically obstinate and lazy, which they have, and I've seen.

I got a rod in my leg, and a cognitive disorder they can't even identify, but I still feel like I'm able to work. That's why I'm in voc rehab.

Never mentioned disabled people, until just now.

You can only receive SSI if you are disabled, or over 65. So it doesn't matter if you mentioned it or not.

I'm glad you can still work, but that's not the same for others. Please do not insult people for needing this help.

I'm not insulting anyone. I am however telling you that there are people out there who don't try. My brother got a jaw fracture 6 years ago, still on SSI sits around squandering money, playing videogames and making a hoot of it and then there are people limping to the labor pool with all sorts of pins and plates, and back braces.

There are healthy people who pass off as completely incapacitated like they have no mortal pride to face the sweat and the sunlight, and would rather squalor in pity and psuedo-helplessness for money.

I imagine sometimes it's difficult (depending on where you live) for a student to find their own place, rather than sharing with someone else. The first time I moved out I was 16, but I went to live with my sister. I still went home to my parents' in the weekends. And the apartment was one rented by them. Living with my sister was pretty much like living with a 10 year old though (despite her being 2 years older) and always doing all the house chores by myself.

I've lived by myself in a couple places. One of them was kind of like a dorm though (I had everything but my own kitchen.)

Right now I'm living with my parents, but planning to move within the next month again. This time to live completely alone. And I'm planning to live alone for the rest of my life. This is individual, but I actually wouldn't be able to put up with sharing a place with strangers for longer than a few months. 

I live in Wisconsin, and pretty much everyone I know lives by themselves unless they are moved in with a significant other. The only people I know that have roommates are the few who are currently stuck in crappy, near minimum wage jobs and can't afford a place of their own.

I moved into my own place as soon as I finished college. I just like the privacy.

In some parts of the country, you have to have a really good job to afford living in decent digs alone, though in other areas housing is relatively cheap.  In my state, recent legislation requires every town to allow "accessory apartments" - separate living quarters that are commonly used either by elderly parents or by kids in their 20s.  A century ago, houses were often large, with room for two or three generations living together, but now the latest thing is "tiny houses" of less than 400 square feet.  I live alone, and I figure I could live comfortably in 300-400 square feet.