Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

How does your bladder fill?

So I have been thinking about this while I am bursting now! How does your bladder fill? Am I the only one that if I drink steadily and at the same sort of rate I find that the first 1-5 on the desperation scale comes quite quickly, then as my poor bladder stretches it seems to go on for quite a while from like 5-9 then suddenly I'll jump to the inevitable 10 and explode or give in from having such a huge ache!

desperation.jpg

I've actually plotted mine as volume v. Desperation level. The problem with plotting against time is that output rate is dependent on input rate so unless you drink at a controlled constant rate your results will be inconsistent. 

Nevertheless there's some truth in the point you make. It's like the kitchen bin thing - it very quickly gets nearly full but then you find that you can keep just squeezing in just a little bit mor for ages. 

I understand that typically the bladder starts sending "got to go" signals when it's about half full, and that seems to be the stage when some people start calling it "desperation".  So one might feel "desperate" for an extended period of time.  By my standards, I'm not "desperate" until there is a serious chance that I may not be able to hold it much longer.  Prior to that, I'm probably not even looking for a toilet.  ;-)

Mine is weird and annoying lol. When I do a hold I always follow the same pattern for safety: Two 500ml water bottles quickly, followed by one 500ml bottle every half an hour. Going slow like that keeps me from feeling sick. Anyway, after the third bottle I start needing to pee pretty badly before the fourth. After the fifth, I'm squirming and desperate.

This is where the annoying part begins: I never seem to get much more desperate after that. The pressure flatlines there and doesn't increase. I can easily hold there for a couple of hours, and while I might leak a tiny bit when I stand up or move around too much, I never actually wet myself without external pressure pushing in hard on my bladder.

After a long time of no noticeable increase in desperation, I get concerned that my kidneys ain't working properly, masturbate, and measure. I always come up with 1300-1400ml, no matter how long I hold at that same level of desperation, even if I keep drinking. I just...stop producing pee after that quantity.

Once I do relieve myself, my bladder fills mad quickly and I need to pee another two times within an hour.

One good thing is that I absolutely LOVE the feeling of being so full. I can just lay there poking and rubbing my rock-hard bladder for an hour. I just wish that I eventually filled up enough to burst without having to lay on my belly to force it out.

Edited by Bulge_Lover (see edit history)

Mine is... Bizzare. 

When I've tried, I basically get to 7 at about a normal rate. At about 8, though, it just... Moves back to a 4. It's like my body just... stops being desperate (without wetting). This happens about three or four times until I get to about a 9. I've never actually managed a true accident- and trust me, I've tried. (I live with roommates, so that limits my maximum alone time to about a day and a half)

I find that having a pee so bladder empty then drink a litre or so fairly quickly, that will fairly quickly start on a level of 1-4 then slowly keep drinking water till start to really feel like need to go. As it builds I like to just keep drinking slowly but continuously, originally found was only way I could go upside down as brain tries to tell you it's wrong but body can't hold it in. Never had 'accident in public, but is on my bucket list this year to drink past point of being able to hold in and nowhere to go. 

Edited by Catsuit123 (see edit history)

It's normal for the bladder to have a filling phase (in which it relaxes) and an emptying phase (in which it contracts) - that's what people are describing when they say they get less desperate for a period in the middle of a hold. I find this may happen a few times in fact, or in a more subtle way even when you are pretty full. 

The description of hitting an absolute maximum is interesting - it's possible pressure does keep the bladder from filling any more at some point?

On 09/01/2017 at 5:26 PM, seedsbarret said:

So I have been thinking about this while I am bursting now! How does your bladder fill? Am I the only one that if I drink steadily and at the same sort of rate I find that the first 1-5 on the desperation scale comes quite quickly, then as my poor bladder stretches it seems to go on for quite a while from like 5-9 then suddenly I'll jump to the inevitable 10 and explode or give in from having such a huge ache!

desperation.jpg

Mine would be almost the inverse of your graph. The early stages go quite slowly, then the latter stages (say 7-10) happen pretty quickly for me!