Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Question to Adults Who Bedwet as Teens

If you you were, or knew, a teen bedwetter how did parents react?

I wet 11 to 14. With a couple exceptions, these were real accidents. (Then was dry at night age 15 - 18 - my last multi-year dry period). My mother was horrified. No way would she just accept and let me wear diapers.

I had a really embarrassing flood at a sleep over. How did you deal with sleep overs?

Since I've read more, remembering doesn't bother me. But at the time I wanted to crawl into a cave and never come out.

Thank you.

I was a bedwetter right through my teenage years. I wasn't reliably dry at night until my early 20's. My teenage bedwetting was just a continuation of my nightly childhood bedwetting so my folks were used to it. I used to get a lot of stick over my bedwetting as a kid but as I grew older they just seemed to accept I was a bedwetter and probably always would be. Once I was in my teens I was expected to change my own bed and put the wet sheets to the laundry. If I didn't change my bed it would remain wet and smelly 

I wet the bed growing up until just before I left home for grad school, and I got very good at dealing with my problem while attending sleepovers (when younger) and school trips (when older). I avoided 'boy-girl sleepovers' when I got older, as a coping mechanism, which certainly contributed to my losing my virginity later than many of my peers. 

I dealt with sleep overs in a number of ways:

1) reduce fluids before bed.

2) pee before before bed, several times. When I was younger, my mother would speak with one of the parents of whomever I was sleeping over with, and explain things, and they would often remind me to use the washroom before bed. This embarrassed me a tonne at the time because I was convinced that parents would gossip with their kids... but they never did. 

3) I always brought a sleeping bag, even if we had beds as options. Why? Because in the bottom of my sleeping bag I'd had, pre-packed, a waterproof bag for my wet Goodnite, and a Goodnite to change into (the vintage 90s ones I posted on recently!). I'd change into my Goodnite while in my sleeping bag, which was the noisy fabric type. 

4) I always had an excuse ready just in case someone did spot my Goodnite. Usually once it was on I didn't leave my sleeping bag, but you know how sleepovers can be, people get up in the middle of the night, shenanigans occur, and I was justifiable paranoid about this. Well my story, worked out with my mother in advance, was that I was having a very heavy period, and that the Goodnites were way more protective than overnight pads. I even had to use this line on a couple of occasions, and had the 'fun' of explaining periods to a friend.

The game was different for trips with beds and other scenarios.

5) oh and after we started experimenting with medications, I would often take these before a trip of sleep over, despite some of the side effects, they did reduce the severity of my leaking at night.

I did have some friends who knew I wet the bed when I was younger, and despite this I still took lots of precautions to be discreet with my Goodnites.

1 hour ago, rachelkirwan said:

I wet the bed growing up until just before I left home for grad school, and I got very good at dealing with my problem while attending sleepovers (when younger) and school trips (when older). I avoided 'boy-girl sleepovers' when I got older, as a coping mechanism, which certainly contributed to my losing my virginity later than many of my peers. 

2) pee before before bed, several times. When I was younger, my mother would speak with one of the parents of whomever I was sleeping over with, and explain things, and they would often remind me to use the washroom before bed. This embarrassed me a tonne at the time because I was convinced that parents would gossip with their kids... but they never did. 

3) I always brought a sleeping bag, even if we had beds as options. Why? Because in the bottom of my sleeping bag I'd had, pre-packed, a waterproof bag for my wet Goodnite, and a Goodnite to change into (the vintage 90s ones I posted on recently!). I'd change into my Goodnite while in my sleeping bag, which was the noisy fabric type. 

4) I always had an excuse ready just in case someone did spot my Goodnite. Usually once it was on I didn't leave my sleeping bag, but you know how sleepovers can be, people get up in the middle of the night, shenanigans occur, and I was justifiable paranoid about this. Well my story, worked out with my mother in advance, was that I was having a very heavy period, and that the Goodnites were way more protective than overnight pads. I even had to use this line on a couple of occasions, and had the 'fun' of explaining periods to a friend.

5) oh and after we started experimenting with medications, I would often take these before a trip of sleep over, despite some of the side effects, they did reduce the severity of my leaking at night.

I did have some friends who knew I wet the bed when I was younger, and despite this I still took lots of precautions to be discreet with my Goodnites.

Rachel,

i know you've said your parents were really good about your wetting , did you have and siblings, and if so did they wet?

1 hour ago, ian flemming said:

Rachel,

i know you've said your parents were really good about your wetting , did you have and siblings, and if so did they wet?

They were, and I had an older sister (several years older) who also knew about my bedwetting. I think she wet the bed when she was very little but stopped by the time I was aware of things (so maybe 5 or 6? Maybe younger). She knew but was very kind and caring about it. Since she was several years older, we didn't really have that near sibling rivalry in which bedwetting could be used as a weapon. 

We did have our fights but she never teased me about bedwetting. We did not talk about it very much at all though.

37 minutes ago, rachelkirwan said:

They were, and I had an older sister (several years older) who also knew about my bedwetting. I think she wet the bed when she was very little but stopped by the time I was aware of things (so maybe 5 or 6? Maybe younger). She knew but was very kind and caring about it. Since she was several years older, we didn't really have that near sibling rivalry in which bedwetting could be used as a weapon. 

We did have our fights but she never teased me about bedwetting. We did not talk about it very much at all though.

Neat that there was that supportive dynamic 

I wet until past my tenth birthday, and wore either training pants and plastic panties or a diaper to bed. I stopped before I turned 11, but had a one off incident when I was 14, and that really freaked me out. There was absolutely no reason for it, and I was stressed for weeks. 

My parents were always very chilled about it. They never made a big deal out of it. It was just dealt with calmly, and I was never shamed or punished for it. If my pyjamas or sheets got wet, we changed them. Simple as that. 

The accident at 14 was stressful, because at that stage, I hadn't had a plastic sheet on my bed for over two years, and the mattress got wet. But even then mum just stripped the bed, and stood it up in front of an open window to dry. It left a bit of a stain, but they assured me not to worry about it. 

As for sleepovers, I dreaded it. I never went, but got forced to go to our grade 5 camp, aged 10. I managed to get through 2 nights without wetting though. By that stage, my wetting had nearly stopped anyway, but of course I was worried that it would happen. 

I only started going to sleepovers from about 15, and even then, not very often.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to as a small child, until about age 5, and that was the most I had done until a little later over some other incidents. 
When I was 16 my dad was doing contracting work for 6 months at a time in the middle east, which stressed me out, and my step-mother got on a real mean streak for a month of pretty heavy psychological abuse. This pushed me over the line and I wet the bed every night for about a week until things calmed down. I was already doing my own laundry and I was forced to put new sheets on my bed every day anyway, so I don't think she ever caught on. I eventually moved in with my mom across the country from my dad and my stepmom, so I avoid ed any further incidents. 
The second time was the end of my first semester in college, the night before a calculus final which would determine if I passed with a C or got a D, and was the semester I realized I actually sucked at algebra. I totally soaked my bed overnight and had to do a load of wet sheets and blankets in the communal laundry room. Thankfully thee mattresses in the dorms were those waterproof ones they have at like camps and things, so I didn't leave any stains. 
Since that most recent times I haven't had any further incidents like that, even though my general stress levels have gone up. 

I've never had a wet night in my life. 

I've  had ex girl friends that did wet and growing up I had a friend that did bed wet and he wore goodnites.

we used to damn near live together and there was a wet one (goodnite) in the trash every morning.

i tryed not to show to much interest in it , though by the time we were 10 I was buying diapers at the 99 cent stores locally.

and riding my bike to the store ,was buying goodnites( the classic all white ones) and sleeping in them .

its alot more common then I think anybody lets on.

OMG. This is SO important.

I wet until I was 3 or 4. Then my parents separated. Then I wet until about 11. Then I was told a step-sibling was coming (dint't happen) and I wet until 16. Then I discovered alcohol and wet until 21. Then I discovered the internet...

I have wet so many ways. As a kid at a boarding school, teased and bullied to extinction, until they put all the bed-wetters together in one dormitory. That's how I discovered fellowship and love. Then at highschool, where I discovered orgasms and not much else. Then at university, where I discovered fetishes and another wetter or two, but failed to deal with that properly. Then after university,when I discovered diapers. Then after Compuserve, when I discovered community. And tonight...

Teenage wetting is agony, and it is the coolest thing. Teenage wetting excludes you from the general fellowship, which seems a curse but is gift.

I wet the bed every night until i was 13 and then started to get control of it and only had occasional accidents after that.

I never had sleep overs or went to any either but I did belong to Boy Scouts and had to go on several over night camps where we had to build a bivouac and sleep in it. I would build mine in the most secluded spot and then make sure I was the first one awake so I could change and roll up my sleeping bag before anyone saw. I got busted because of the smell of my sleeping bag and never went to scouts again.

My parents and older brother teased me and shamed me relentlessly over it. They would make sure to tell everyone. Hence why I never asked for or went to any sleep overs.  I got beat up more times than I care to remember as a result of them blabbing about it. But I survived and learned many things about people from it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2016 at 3:44 PM, rachelkirwan said:

I always thought someone who had real-life problems probably wouldn't see the fun in this. What made you <i>love</i> all things wetting in a life of working overtime to keep real accidents a secret? 

Also, do you ever wet the bed accidentally now, even on rare occasion? Even in cases of stress/too sleepy to go to the bathroom before bed/etc.? Could you if you wanted to, like have an extra cup of water before bed and there's some chance you have an accident?

Also also, did you have to explain it to the one who is now your husband? How'd he take it?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I'm totally cool with just being pointed in the direction of the topic where it's discussed if it is.

I've been a bed wetter all my life, or I should say a diaper wetter as I rarely went without a diaper at night.  Early on I wore cloth diapers with plastic pants, then switched to disposables as they became easier to find.  Often I would wear a mix of the two- a cloth diaper with the largest thickest baby diaper inside it....sometimes 2 baby diapers.  At other times I'd wear newly available adult disposable diapers, but I'd have to put baby diapers inside those too, as they weren't very absorbent!

I have many memories of grocery shopping with mom and having a HUGE package of Huggies Thick in the grocery cart and then we'd run into someone we knew.  I'd be horrified as hiding a massive bag of the largest and thickest baby diapers made was impossible!  I would always put them under the cart from then on, but that didn't help much.  So I'd try and avoid shopping trips when I needed diapers!  The only drawback was that mom let me pick out the diapers I wanted, so if I didn't go I had to talk to her to tell her what I wanted, and I hated talking about my diapers with anyone!  Catch 22!

I remember around age 6 or 7 seeing adult disposable diapers in the good old Sears Catalog and asking mom to order some.  They were the basic large Wingfold diapers, but were better than cloth diapers!  I hate cold wet cloth diapers!

As I got older I began to love the feel of a thick squishy wet disposable between my legs when I woke up in the morning.  The first thing I'd do when I woke up was to reach down and press the front of my diaper to see how wet it was.  If it wasn't soaked and/or hadn't leaked I would get on my knees and wet whatever was left in me soaking the diaper as much as I dared.  Often this would result in small leaks on the bed, but I didn't care!  I still do this today!

Sleepovers were something I initially dreaded!  I was terrified of how to hide my diapers and crinkly plastic undersheet!  I vividly recall my 1st sleepover.... I was around 8 years old ....my friend was going to sleep on a blow up mattress on the floor in my room.  At this point I was diapering myself, but could only do it laying down.  I'd decided that a cloth diaper with a baby diaper inside and plastic pants over it would be the quietest...but bulky.  I spent hours one afternoon trying on all the combinations to see which showed the most, which crinkled the most and which I could put on the fastest.  I'd have to lay down in the bathroom to pin my diaper on and pull on my plastic pants, so I hid everything in the linen closet in the bathroom.  When it was time to go to sleep I went to the bathroom, locked the door, got my diaper out quietly and laid it on the floor with my plastic pants.  Then I peed, pulled off my pajama bottoms and quickly pinned on my diaper and pulled on my plastic pants, standing up and looking at myself in the mirror in only my diaper, and then pulling my pajama bottoms on.  When I slept on my own I never wore pajama bottoms as my diapers would often leak and get the pajamas wet...which was cold and uncomfortable.  I also had grown to love seeing my reflection in mirrors or Windows etc of myself thickly diapered.  The thicker the better!  So this first sleepover I was BRIEFLY tempted to walk out in only my diaper and pajama top....but I chickened out!

I flushed and used to noise to make it to my room quickly and then quietly and carefully crept into bed.  My friend never said a word and I lay in bed terrified of moving til at some point I fell asleep.

I awoke as I normally would and quietly put my hand down to my diaper, and as always it was squishy and soaked.  I pressed it into myself and enjoyed the feeling, then I crept to the bathroom pulled off my pajamas and plastic pants, unpinned my diaper, rolled it up and stuffed it in a bag in the closet to deal with later.  I pulled my pjs back on and went back to my room.  My friend either never noticed or was nice enough not to say anything.

Sleeping over at his house didn't turn out quite as I planned....and is probably one reason I love the thrill/embarrassment/humiliation of wearing diapers in front of others!

On 2/12/2017 at 10:39 PM, trekkie said:

I always thought someone who had real-life problems probably wouldn't see the fun in this. What made you <i>love</i> all things wetting in a life of working overtime to keep real accidents a secret? 

Also, do you ever wet the bed accidentally now, even on rare occasion? Even in cases of stress/too sleepy to go to the bathroom before bed/etc.? Could you if you wanted to, like have an extra cup of water before bed and there's some chance you have an accident?

Also also, did you have to explain it to the one who is now your husband? How'd he take it?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I'm totally cool with just being pointed in the direction of the topic where it's discussed if it is.

Well my feelings towards wetting and diapers were very complex growing up, given normal human reaction to embarrassing things and things we can't control. I certainly didn't enjoy having public accident when I was having them, nor the prospect of having to wear protection all the time. But I think also that my sexualizing or fetishizing wetting and diapers were partly a way of gaining control over the accidents and something I could not otherwise control.

With respect to real accidents these days, no I've not had one in a while, the last one was oh... many months ago, after a night of drinking, which is the only time night time problems still happen with me. For daytime issues, I no longer have random leaks, but major stressors like impact workouts, sneezing and the like will still often cause a little leak. 

I do still do all the lifestyle stuff before bed when I can (no caffeine, peeing always before bed etc.) out of habit but they certainly make me feel more confident. I think if I really wanted to have a legitimate accident, the only way to do this would be to go to bed after drinking too much wine or beer and not using the toilet first. 

And I did have to explain things to my husband, and here's what I did:

Rachel, I understand all too well what you're talking about. Growing up, you hate protection, not just because it's looked at as being so infantile, but also because you NEED it. How many times did you want to feel like a big kid and not have to wear a diaper (they didn't have Goodnites when I was a kid) either to bed or during the day? Then, of course, we hit puberty and the time we are alone and quiet (when kids explore their sexuality) is usually the time we're in a diaper. So now we associate our burgeoning desires with diapers.

Then we hit the years where we start dating and there is that huge concern about how your partner is going to feel about you putting a diaper on for bed, or once you're together enough during the day, having them possibly see you putting one on because you've been having wetting problems during the day. You want to hide it as much as you can, and then slowly you go from not letting them touch you while diapered, to cuddling, eventually leading to the point where it's not uncommon for them to see you changing your diaper. I know things are easier now after all these years, I just texted my wife yesterday that a couple cases of diapers I had ordered should be arriving via FedEx in the afternoon.

While we hate it when we're younger, it gets easier with time, doesn't it?

3 hours ago, analogrto said:

Rachel, I understand all too well what you're talking about. Growing up, you hate protection, not just because it's looked at as being so infantile, but also because you NEED it. How many times did you want to feel like a big kid and not have to wear a diaper (they didn't have Goodnites when I was a kid) either to bed or during the day? Then, of course, we hit puberty and the time we are alone and quiet (when kids explore their sexuality) is usually the time we're in a diaper. So now we associate our burgeoning desires with diapers.

Then we hit the years where we start dating and there is that huge concern about how your partner is going to feel about you putting a diaper on for bed, or once you're together enough during the day, having them possibly see you putting one on because you've been having wetting problems during the day. You want to hide it as much as you can, and then slowly you go from not letting them touch you while diapered, to cuddling, eventually leading to the point where it's not uncommon for them to see you changing your diaper. I know things are easier now after all these years, I just texted my wife yesterday that a couple cases of diapers I had ordered should be arriving via FedEx in the afternoon.

While we hate it when we're younger, it gets easier with time, doesn't it?

It does, I think this is the same way with all forms of sexual expression, I mean I remember how paranoid I was with sex and even like getting intimate with boys. And now, well... I have a sexy husband I can fuck any time I want :)

1 hour ago, rachelkirwan said:

It does, I think this is the same way with all forms of sexual expression, I mean I remember how paranoid I was with sex and even like getting intimate with boys. And now, well... I have a sexy husband I can fuck any time I want :)

I know what you mean. Think about how paranoid you were as a child or teenager with people finding out you needed diapers for whatever reason. The embarrassment factor was enough to make us hate it with a passion. I know you've written about being stealthy with sleepovers and hiding your Goodnites--you were lucky, those didn't come out until I was well past my teenage years. For me, I avoided sleepovers because those meant a vintage Pampers with plastic pants over them (ever seen the diaper that is basically a flat absorbent sheet with the crotch bunched up and a couple of tapes? Yeah, those were what I wore.). Those diapers meant you had to have your friend's parent diapering you for bed, kind of hard to be stealth.

Now I'm in my mid-40's and much less concerned who knows about my bladder troubles. I was in the hospital for some minor things not too long ago and was telling the nurse I had UI issues when she asked how I managed it. "Diapers is easiest for me," was my response. She was surprised about how nonchalant I was about it. After so many years, you get a thick skin.