Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Bambino Magnifico - First Impressions

Hey again OmoOrg,

I managed to snag myself a S/M sample pack of the new Bambino Magnifico's before they sold out again, and given it's rather novel design and limited availability, I thought it would be a good idea to share my initial thoughts on them, in case anyone was looking to order some when the new shipment comes in (S/M currently est. late December, L/XL is still in stock as of posting however), but had any questions about the new design.

I suppose we should start with the sizing, which is a first for Bambino. It's a hybrid sizing, with one "S/M" size that fits 26"-46", and one "L/XL" size that fits 36"-56". I'm not sure what my exact waist size is, but I wear anywhere between 36-40" mens pants/shorts, and I'm certainly close to the upper bound of the S/M, based on where the tapes ended up fitting well, combined with my height (I'm well over 6' tall). I'm curious as to how the L/XL would fit on me, but I adore the snugness of the S/M. I may order a L/XL sample pack to check that out before ordering in a larger quantity, and I'll reply to this with the differences in size/fit if I do.

The design in general is very interesting. It's a plastic backed diaper with an all-over dinosaur print, which is really cute and seamless. It's got tall leak guards, and front+back waistbands as well. The real kicker though is the mechanical "tapes" that keep it all together! The front panel of the diaper from about midway up is covered with a sort of low-profile velcro-like landing pad that feels similar to nylon or cloth, but not really. This landing pad is where you'll affix the 4 (2 per side) hook+loop tapes/tabs to close the diaper. The tabs are plenty big for the job, and are just stiff enough to stay flat while you're positioning them. They don't have any adhesive at all, and as far as I can tell, you can pull them off and stick them back on a hundred times without losing any strength!

The tabs are attached to the back via a panel of very strong stretch-fabric that flexes with your body, keeping the tapes from getting too stressed when sitting down, raising your legs, squatting, etc. I've been able to adjust the tabs over a half dozen times now, partially out of sheer curiosity, and they continue to hold right in place with no trouble. This has got to be the best way to fasten a diaper, period. Unlimited adjustments, stretch fit, and even if you pop a tape, you can just stick it right back where it was, or make a little adjustment, with no worries at all. You could even take it completely off and put it back on, or add that booster pad you forgot to put in a second ago, or whatever you want!

As far as absorbency is concerned, it's excellent. I'm not sure of the exact capacity, but It's surely pretty massive from what I can gather based on my 4.5 hr experience thus far. Beyond simple capacity however, the padding swells very uniformly. Squeezing the padding reveals it's homogeneous composition. No lumps, no clumping, just even squishy-ness beneath impossibly smooth plastic. It also seems to lock in wetness tighter than any diaper I've tried yet. No matter how much I let out, as long as I take it easy and give it a good moment to acquiesce, it's not coming back out. Even clamping my thighs together against the swollen padding in a deliberate attempt to cause a leak doesn't lead to any press out. I'm sure I'll leak eventually, but certainly not for while!

These are certainly the best diapers I've ever worn, and I can't recommend them enough. I would suggest getting their S/M-L/XL sample pack (includes one of each size) first though if you're anywhere in the overlap area between the sizes. As noted above, the S/M size is sold out right now, but they're expecting the next shipment late this month, so not too long to wait ;) Let me know if you have questions about something I didn't address, or if you've got yours already, feel free to use this thread to share your thoughts on them as well :)

I'll throw some pics I took wearing them earlier (including detail shots of the hook+loop tabs, and the "velcro" landing pad) under imgset/spoiler tags below.

2016-12-21 21.59.41.jpg

2016-12-21 21.59.46.jpg

2016-12-21 22.00.01.jpg

2016-12-21 22.00.29.jpg

2016-12-21 22.01.00.jpg

2016-12-21 22.01.02.jpg

2016-12-21 22.01.08.jpg

2016-12-21 22.03.47.jpg

2016-12-21 22.03.48.jpg

2016-12-21 22.04.18.jpg

2016-12-21 22.04.21.jpg

2016-12-21 22.04.24.jpg

Edited by HPattern
Pics added (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

L/XL UPDATE!

I received my L/XL sample pack a bit ago, having ordered just after they came back in stock, and have finally gotten the chance to try them on, in contrast to the S/M that I reviewed previously above.

For someone of my build (height of around 6.25 feet, weight somewhere in the low 200's lbs range, pants size/waist around 40in as best estimate...), I certainly recommend going with the L/XL. They have quite a bit more length and padding, and they wrap around me so nice, but with the velcro-tape and stretch panels, I can still make them snug and tight without a problem! I much prefer the L/XL now, and that's what I'll end up getting from here on out!

I've still got the other S/M from the sample though, and I'm quite liking the idea of doubling the S/M under a L/XL when I've got the time and place to myself again... ;)

I'll throw in some pics later after syncing from my phone. They'll illustrate the difference in tape placement between the S/M posted above, and the L/XL, on someone in-between the two size ranges.

Edited by HPattern (see edit history)