Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Bathroom Shy

10 minutes ago, LucyVersion2.0 said:

It hasn't happened to me; I can pee literally anywhere, but I have talked to quite a few people who had trouble using public restrooms.  What surprised me was that they were all men; I'd never thought a guy would be pee shy.

I can pee everywhere to except for the bathroom apparently.  It's probably because it's in school.  I haven't used a restroom at school since 3rd grade when I decided holding it was easier than making a bunch of trips. 

9 minutes ago, Nikeryda said:

I can pee everywhere to except for the bathroom apparently.  It's probably because it's in school.  I haven't used a restroom at school since 3rd grade when I decided holding it was easier than making a bunch of trips. 

School restrooms can be pretty disgusting, not usually worse than a ratchet grocery store restroom, but nasty enough to make one feel uncomfortable.

I "freeze up" if I hear any noises around me, so it's really difficult to go in public bathrooms. If I hear someone even talking outside the bathroom door I can't go because of that.

When I was going to school, I usually didn't go to the bathroom all day because of this (and that the time between classes was way too short to include a bathroom break).

4 hours ago, LucyVersion2.0 said:

It hasn't happened to me; I can pee literally anywhere, but I have talked to quite a few people who had trouble using public restrooms.  What surprised me was that they were all men; I'd never thought a guy would be pee shy.

I have known ladies who choose not to use a public bathroom and will go to extreme lengths to try to wait. However I think it tends to be men who find it physically difficult to go and so are pee shy. I used to suffer badly with pee shyness and particularly couldn't go at a urinal but often could in a cubical, as you can imagine it is tough to go if pee shy at a urinal when overlooked as kind naturally shifts to thinking people are watching and notice if don't or can't go. I luckily managed to overcome this and now can almost always go at a urinal.

13 hours ago, SofullItHurts said:

I have known ladies who choose not to use a public bathroom and will go to extreme lengths to try to wait. However I think it tends to be men who find it physically difficult to go and so are pee shy. I used to suffer badly with pee shyness and particularly couldn't go at a urinal but often could in a cubical, as you can imagine it is tough to go if pee shy at a urinal when overlooked as kind naturally shifts to thinking people are watching and notice if don't or can't go. I luckily managed to overcome this and now can almost always go at a urinal.

Same for me - didn't used to be able to use urinals if there were people around but I overcame this over time. Now I can go anywhere, anytime. 

On 12/22/2016 at 2:33 PM, LucyVersion2.0 said:

Its definitely more common in men - they are much more exposed. Sure there is a stall, but that can potentially be even more awkward. Due to a injury sustained in a car wreck when I was 16 I basically can't pee standing up, so I will normally avoid public bathrooms for similar reason. I've never been pee shy, though.

My first wife was OK with public bathrooms, but she would still avoid them if possible. The interesting thing is that she absolutely refused to pee outside or in dirty toilets (such as porta-potties). I'm not sure if it was because she couldn't or just wouldn't, though.

I can't stand going to porta-potties or dirty bathrooms. I'm really sensitive to smells, and poorly ventilated bathrooms like porta-potties (and a lot of public bathrooms I've found) tend to reek. I've been really sick and pulled over to use a restroom, only to go back to my car and drive away because of how incredibly gross the bathroom was.

I'd like to inform businesses about properly ventilating restrooms though. The humidity where I live commonly hits 90%, and even restrooms inside of buildings tend to not be ventilated well. This experience is not enjoyable in the least :( Even if it's clean otherwise.

My first girlfriend was totally open about announcing her pee needs to friends and family. But she became bright red embarrassed if she even thought about a stranger knowing she was heading for a restroom. If strangers were around, she couldn't approach within 20 feet of a restroom door. She never peed at school. (except once - - long story.)

With no strangers in sight she could use any public restroom without hesitation. Sometimes after fast food I had to drive her to a woodcut. She'd ask me to walk the path with her so it wouldn't look like a pee break. Then we'd pee together and she never showed the slightest embarrassment peeing with a friend. Think she got the stranger thing from the Sunday school she attended.

As for me, if I don't pee around guys for three months, I have to start over. Hang out at the mirror plucking stray beard hairs or something. When the room empties, go to the urinal. Try not to sieze up when a guy comes in. Then I'm ok until something gets me nervous about it again. 

As a child my parents never taught be to keep my pants up when I used a urinal – I used to let them fall around my ankles while I peed. I don't remember this being a problem in pre-school, but when I was 5 and started attending a new school, and the other boys taunted me mercilessly for it. Because of five-year-old logic, rather than just starting to pee with my pants up at the urinal like everyone else, I tried to do what I'd always done, but in a stall with the door closed instead. The boys responded by scaling the stall walls so they could continue mocking me. It was pretty horrible...

It took me a long time to connect that memory to the fact that I stopped ever using the restroom at school, or really any public restroom, but I am pretty certain now that that is the origin of my pee shyness. I wasn't able to train myself to go in a public stall until I started attending college classes. I had terrible difficulty at camp in middle school, when for a one-week excursion I had to find times to sneak away and use the bathroom when no one else would be there, and even then [warning: skip to the end of this paragraph if you don't want to read about poo] I was unable to poop the entire week. When my parents picked me up and drove me home, I had to go so badly I actually purposely shit my pants on the way home, I just couldn't wait for relief. Fortunately since I was in the back seat of the van my parents somehow didn't notice.

After years of training I'm now usually able to pee in a public restroom without much difficulty, though I use a stall whenever possible, since urinals are still hard for me. Meanwhile, I seem to have almost no trouble letting loose in my pants in public. I cannot explain the difference, but I'm grateful for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2016 at 7:25 AM, ShadowDog said:

I "freeze up" if I hear any noises around me, so it's really difficult to go in public bathrooms. If I hear someone even talking outside the bathroom door I can't go because of that.

When I was going to school, I usually didn't go to the bathroom all day because of this (and that the time between classes was way too short to include a bathroom break).

i have the exact same problem  i only have to hear a noise and i cant go, i always go to a stall even if the restroom is empty as i still freeze up mid stream. if Ive had a fair few drinks i can sometimes keep the stream going but can never start one around other people

On 12/23/2016 at 7:03 AM, LucyVersion2.0 said:

its not the public restroom its pee shyness around other people i can pee anywhere if there's no one else near me

On 12/23/2016 at 11:34 AM, SofullItHurts said:

I luckily managed to overcome this and now can almost always go at a urinal.

On 12/24/2016 at 0:29 AM, WetDave said:

Same for me - didn't used to be able to use urinals if there were people around but I overcame this over time. Now I can go anywhere, anytime. 

On 1/3/2017 at 11:23 AM, kochel428 said:

After years of training I'm now usually able to pee in a public restroom without much difficulty, though I use a stall whenever possible, since urinals are still hard for me. Meanwhile, I seem to have almost no trouble letting loose in my pants in public. I cannot explain the difference, but I'm grateful for it.

How did you guys overcome this?

i have tried the holding your breath method but find it actually works the opposite i cant pee then when i finally release my breath i might be able to let a little bit out then it stops. but im gasping for air at that stage so 1. couldn't do in a public bathroom and 2. harder to pee by myself so cant see it working for  the public bathrooms

it limits what i do as my choice to go to events and such are based on if i can pee easily or not.

and if i did get a partner who was into pee play i couldn't do it anyway

To answer your question I worked up to it gradually. 

First, I found I could use the urinals if there was nobody there and I thought it unlikely that anybody would come in while I was peeing, for example at university in the evening after hours. It helped if I closed my eyes, shut out my surroundings and imagined my toilet at home in front of me. I did this as often as possible to practice and get familiar and comfortable like this. 

Second, when I had got used to peeing like that I started using the urinals whenever the bathroom was empty even if others might come in while I was peeing. I found that once I'd started I could keep going when someone else walked in. Again, after some time I got comfortable peeing like this. 

Third, I then started trying to go if there was somebody else there provided they were far away, e.g. If they were at least 3 or 4 urinals away. This was hard and often I couldn't go, but it helped if I closed my eyes and visualised being in my home bathroom. I persevered at this and in the end got comfortable with it. 

Eventually I was able to go pretty much any time unless someone near me was obviously looking, or talking to me. 

Now I can just pee anywhere, anytime. 

Another thing that helped was peeing outside in quiet places - in the woods after dark for example - it got me used to letting go while sort of exposed, but not feeling pressured to go  

I appreciate the difficulties it can give having a shy bladder, especially if you want to go to bars with friends and drink a lot of beer. It actually caused me to wet myself once on the way home after a night out as I hadn't been able to use the toilets at the bar. 

I hope this helps!

yes i noticed in high school was mostly us boys that was pee shy and went the school day without going at school. for me started in middle school that i could no longer go at school. got used to having a full bladder in class and finding that it actually felt good having a full bladder so did not mind. it stretched as i went through school so never wet myself in class. found my bladder relaxed more once fuller and would tense up more when partly full so would drink  lots of water when i got first got up while getting cleaned up and ready for breakfast of a lot of fruit juice and more on the buss to school if it was cold or biking to school in really short shorts to tan my thighs if it was nice out. ran 100m 200m dash and jumped 110 m high hurdles in track after school and always ran those with a full bladder having not pissed all day at school plus coach made us drink a lot before practices and track meets. bladder was always up to my belly button by the end of class and then swelled out more when i had to drink for track. its harder to pee when running then most people think so i was able to hold it as i ran my events. felt it the most in the jumps for the hurdles. and when crouched in the starting block with my muscular thigh pressing into my swollen bladder.