Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Cats or Dogs??

• 4 months later...
On 18.03.2017 at 5:26 PM, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

@Lisk: What's that gibberish made of high value unicode characters supposed to mean? Literally, all my screen reader can tell me is they're chacters in the FFxx block.

CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

It's a quote from Terry Pratchett's book, where Death speaks in that weird font that I've tried to emulate by using monospace characters. And he's right, cats are nice. I certainly see where dog owners' love for dogs comes from, but as for me, when it comes to pets, cats are the only answer, because I see myself in these egoistic creatures, and winning a cat's trust makes me feel like I've really accomplished something. Also, cats are nice.

• 1 month later...

I don't have pets, but I think there are objective traits which can be compared between them, so I would like to compose a cross comparison list for you now...

Dog™:
+ More obedient to specific commands such as rolling around in the dirt and pretending they have expired.
+ More utilitarian for duties such as guarding homes, aiding the blind, herding sheep, murdering people, etcetera.
+ More playful and suitable as interactive entertainment, like biological games consoles.
+ Can perform entertaining 'Unintelligence' subroutines, such as chasing own tail or running into doors.
+ Some models have been designed optimally for videotaping ready to share on the Internet.
- Consume more food than Cat™, especially larger makes and models.
- Less clean in general and defecate on things a lot.
- Hyperactive and often cannot be left alone.
- Prone to making alarm sounds even when not programmed to do so.
- Prone to licking humans as a form of nonverbal communication.

220px-Cavalier_King_Charles_Spaniel_02.jpg (Example model D284, the 'King Charles Spaniel', is excellent for including in painted portraits.)

Cat™:
+ Consume less food than Dog™, sometimes even supplying you with local delicacies such as dead rats.
+ Require less maintenance than Dog™, often programmed to self clean by usage of the licking apparatus.
+ More laid back and able to allow humans to get on with more impertinent tasks such as paying taxes.
+ A much quieter creature to add to the family, it makes a low 'purr' noise to indicate sufficient pampering.
+ Some models have been designed optimally for videotaping ready to share on the Internet.
- They frequently go into sleep mode and cannot be relied on to be anything but lazy.
- They are possessive of areas like sofas (couches) and occasionally require forcible removal.
- They are prone to testing the structural integrity of various objects through scratching.
- Known to torture prey before executing them.

320px-Large_Siamese_cat_tosses_a_mouse.jpg(Example model C57, the 'Siamese Cat', is excellent for turning into a cartoon character.)

Please check the manufacturer's instructions prior to first use of Cat™ or Dog™. Warranty does not include vehicular crushing.

I say BOTH!!

We've always had dogs in my family (I think mum is allergic to cats), and I love how they're utterly loyal, and unwaveringly loving of their humans - every time I visit my parents' house Simba (their ridgeback) gets soo happy and excited to see me it really boosts my spirits no matter how low I feel... Their daft tail chasing and especially puppy antics are adorable, and just in general dogs seem to have that carefree attitude that makes people happy, and if we're lucky it rubs off on us.

On the downside, I don't like having to walk the dog (though it's useful to force me to get some exercise) and they do seem to take much more time and effort to maintain, and having to walk them every day makes them somewhat impractical if you've got a 9-5 job...

I've never had cats but I LOVE them - so floofy and cute, and the purring is another sort of anti-depressant. Whenever I see cats around town I always try to stroke them, and I love the cuddly thing with them rubbing up against you. They'd also be much more practical with a 9-5, since they can take care of themselves during the day, although that independence also makes them a little less clingy and I'm not the biggest fan of the superior cat attitude - it's a lower species so damnit it should LOOOVE ME!!!

I'll have to make the final call if and when I manage to buy myself a house, not gonna get either in rented digs - I have my pet rats in the meantime!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tholepin

Dogs don't enjoy living on a boat. I don't enjoy lifting them into a dinghy and bringing them ashore two or three times a day for "walks." Especially when there is no place to "walk!" Dogs consider a sailboat's mast to be a tree; further, there is nothing sexy about a dog humping a man-overboard pod. 

Cats love living on a boat. Cats don't like being "walked." They don't like being thrown into a dinghy in a windy rainstorm, heaved ashore to dig catholes in the mud and being yelled at to Hurry up, you mangy $*&*#*$!! 

I hope I've made myself clear . . .

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think cats are cool animals, look gracious. But, are strange sometimes, act weird, have their own mind. But I kinda like cats, though.

Dogs are something I like more from the fundamental behaving. If you are the owner, they are loyal, solid, and if they are not dumb, which is not a cat problem, btw, and more classy they are supreme.

Therefore, mostly dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

I have both but there are likes to dislikes with both

Dogs: you can train them, they can learn to be obediant, mine always gives me kisses and sticks by my side, only dislike i have is you cant toilet train them

cats: you can toilet train them (my arent but i wish) they are very snuggly compared to my dog, i hate how they bite, ive gotten more bite and claw injuries from my cats than my dog, they are so clingy which is cute but mine wont stop meowing in the middle of the night

still i go for both really, they are fluffy companions and idk what id do if i ever lost mine, ive had my dog since i was entering first grade and my cats when i was in late elementary- middle school, they are my best friends and ik the day i loose them my life will feel a bit empty, i just hope that all these years ive given them enough love and they know that

• 4 months later...

Dogs. I don't think this is a discussion, actually, lol.

Now, I understand that whereas some people like dogs or even prefer dogs their life situation disallows dogs, so they get a cat. Cats are more self-sufficient. I will never deny that. Dogs are pack animals and rely on social interaction. They also need us to feed them, take them out, etc, unless we want to release them to the wild, which is a terrible idea for a fair number of reasons. So, yes, sometimes cats are "purrfect" companions, and I understand that. But as for superiority? Dogs.

Dogs.

Dogs.

Dogs.

Dogs.

Dogs.