Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Diapers or toilet .

I've been thinking about this for awhile.

so your average newish toilet per flush uses 2gallons.

so if your normal adult uses the toilet 6 times a day 

they are using around 12 gallons a day. 

If I cloth diapers I change 3 times a day. My washing machine is one of those water saving kind and only uses 3 gallons a wash. In that one load I can put in 6 cloth diapers.  So my average use of water for my waste would be around 1.5 gallons a day. I hang dry my diapers so no additional power is used. 

my question then is it more environmentally friendly to wear diapers then to use the toilet.

thiughts?

Interesting question ... um, where does the waste go? In the washer? (or am I overthinking this and being stupid).

I had a housemate who would sometimes) go to the laundrymat; load the washer; slip aside her panties; and pee into the bucket before starting the wash.

I bet her $20 she was making it up. She wasn't. She did it late on a crowded Friday night. No one said anything or noticed. (OK, to be fair, I wasn't looking to see if anyone else was watching, I was transfixed.)

In general solid waste would be scooped in to the toilet. 

So you would still have to count for a flush. 

It would be fun to see if I'm right that cloth diapers are more environmentally friendly . 

I can just imagine some , über "green" person using this method to stay as environmentally friendly as possible . Or more specifically as a manner for limiting water consumption . 

Well, if you're saving water, then yes, you're shrinking your footprint, and conserving your cities freshwater for the future.

The only other consideration is electricity. Your footprint there depends on how your electricity is generated, how your city water and sewer plant's electricity is generated, and if your washer uses more or less KWh to do one cycle than your city would use to pump and treat the additional water used by the toilet over the washer...

• 2 months later...