Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Hypnosis question about memory,not about being hypnotised to wet

Had anyone ever used hypnosis to restore their memories? I ask because I have one memory, or lack thereof, that troubles me.

As far as I can recall, I've posted all of my childhood wetting memories on here before, at least the major ones. There were a lot of generic, peeing in swimsuit type of ones that aren't important enough to relate. 

Now I had more than my share of real accidents, as well as deliberate wettings when I was a kid, which I've posted about, but I've always maintained that I never once wet myself at school.

But there's one thing that bugs me. I remember being in grade 6, aged 12, talking with a bunch of kids in class. A younger kid from grade 3/4 had wet himself at lunchtime, and we were talking about it. I made the claim, "I've never wet myself at school," and a few of the kids disagreed with me. One boy insisted that I had in grade 1, aged 6. He kept telling me that I had, and he remembered, because he ended up taking me to the toilet to help me change, and I'd been crying a lot. At least two other kids agreed with him. 

But while I seem to remember every wetting incident that I've been associated with, either as perpetrator or witness, I have absolutely no recall of this ever happening. 

Now you know how if you try hard enough, your brain seems to make up memories that aren't real? Well I seem to have a vague memory of crying uncontrollably in the school toilets on one occasion, but I can't remember why, and I have a vague memory of my mother picking me up after school one day, and me handing her my school shorts in a plastic bag. 

If these memories are real, it must indicate that I did indeed have at least one accident at school. But I remember other accidents from around the same age, at least vaguely, so why not this one, as it should be the most memorable due to the embarrassment factor.

There's a particular bed wetting scene I'd like to remember as well. As a regular bed wetter, it wasn't particularly unusual, but for personal reasons I'd like to have better recall on I specific occurrence.

Did something so traumatic occur that caused me to block it out? Or perhaps it never happened, and I'm creating false memories to fit the scenario. 

So, has anyone ever successfully used hypnosis, or something like it, to remember things from long ago?

Hypnosis for memory recovery got a bit of a bad rap by being associated with the use of hypnosis to plant false memories. There was especially a point of contention about this back during one of the Satanism scares of the 1980s. The thing is, it's possible for even a competent hypnotist to accidentally guide the subject into fabricating new memories without realizing it, simply through word choice.

Of course, all of this depends on the person being hypnotized being a good hypnotic subject, and that's a characteristic that varies from person to person because so many factors influence it. A lot of people just don't go into a trance, or they do but they get out of it very easily.

On 31/10/2016 at 1:28 AM, DrBorderline said:

Hypnosis for memory recovery got a bit of a bad rap by being associated with the use of hypnosis to plant false memories. There was especially a point of contention about this back during one of the Satanism scares of the 1980s. The thing is, it's possible for even a competent hypnotist to accidentally guide the subject into fabricating new memories without realizing it, simply through word choice.

Of course, all of this depends on the person being hypnotized being a good hypnotic subject, and that's a characteristic that varies from person to person because so many factors influence it. A lot of people just don't go into a trance, or they do but they get out of it very easily.

Thanks for your response. Very interesting. 

Not relating to hypnosis, I've always wondered how we can bring back old memories that we don't remember. I've been told stories before of important and/or terrible things that have happened around me or involving me when I was little but I tend to have 0 recollection of them, though more vague memories do still linger around for some reason. I know there's a thing called repressed memory but are there ways to access those things again if not hypnosis? Or should we start another post

17 hours ago, EmmyMurder said:

Not relating to hypnosis, I've always wondered how we can bring back old memories that we don't remember. I've been told stories before of important and/or terrible things that have happened around me or involving me when I was little but I tend to have 0 recollection of them, though more vague memories do still linger around for some reason. I know there's a thing called repressed memory but are there ways to access those things again if not hypnosis? Or should we start another post

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I would badly like to remember this if it happened, to find out if something traumatic or terrible occurred. 

It seems strange that I can recall virtually every accident that I had, as well as every one that I witnessed, including just random sightings of other kids I didn't know who had wet themselves, but I can't remember this particular case. 

As I said, I think I have a vague memory of crying in the toilet, and of giving my mother a plastic bag with my wet pants in it, but I'm just not sure if they are real memories or just made up ones.

If they are real, why can't I remember the actual accident? Was it so traumatic that I've blocked it out? And why can I remember other accidents that I had that would've been just as embarrassing as that one would've been? 

It does of course bring up the question of how it could affect me if I did suddenly remember what happened, and found out that I had been abused or mistreated, perhaps while being helped to change.

As much as I'd like to remember, perhaps some things are better left forgotten.