Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Can fetishes be passed down genetically?

Guest tortoise

Guest tortoise

Firstly, I am sorry if this post is in the wrong section of the website and it can be moved if it needs to be, I thought this topic would suit it well.

This question topic has been bugging me for a long time now...

Can fetishes actually be passed down genetically? Because I have an Omorashi fetish, could this then be passed on?

It sounds bizarre, I know, and it's also midnight here so I may be sounding slightly more silly than usual. I just thought... My Omorashi fetish is a part of me, the way I respond to pee, peeing and such is in my DNA as part of what makes me, me - and has been from a very, very young age. Because I was so young when it became obvious of my interest in pee, where on /earth/ did it come from? Psychological studies have often said that fetishes develop from a certain trigger point in childhood, similar to fears - though I simply don't remember a trigger incident in childhood - just an overwhelming interest in peeing, pee, desperation and a fixation on potty training from about the age of two. 

Even if the possibility of an omorashi fetish being passed through genes is impossible (people like what they like after all!) -- is there a possibility that there is a weakness or a 'slot' or something in human genes which allows for a fixation or fetish to develop? Or that if a parent has a fetish, they may then make their own child susceptible to developing a fetish of some kind during their lifetime?

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this. Again, I'm sorry if this makes little sense - it's probably time for me to go to bed. This is as mentioned a long standing thought of mine. It'd be interesting to hear other's thoughts, theories or if there are any legitimate reasoning for why fetishes are developed. :-)

• 1 month later...

I'd say no. I think fetishes/paraphilias mostly are a psychic and social construct but at this point we don't really know if DNA has some sort of influence or not. It could be possible that is transmitted through DNA something that increase the chance to get a paraphilia. It'd be interesting to read some science studies about that, though I don't know if biologists, sociologists and psychologists are interested by that field of research

So far it seems culture and social standards have the biggest influence, at least to me anyway. I was thinking about omorashi's bigger prominence in the far east, or the plaque bringing on a higher rate of mutual masturbation and foot fetishism.

Genetics should easily play a role in someones vulnerability to sexual fetishism, plasticity in which their sexuality can adapt and so on. Intraphychic disorders brought on by genetics can increase or decrease the amount of leverage culture and social mechanics have to  play. While genetics may be able to pull on the strength or frequency of fetishism I hardly doubt there is any evidence of genetic code being fetish specific.

Who knows. Genetics is one if the grey areas that isn't fully understood by science yet, okay, science has a fairly broad understanding but there are still a lot of grey areas and theory. An idea like this is open to conjecture but I find it hard to believe that genetics doesn't play some part in sexual fetishes. Of course, I have no evidence to back this up, it is just a theory.

It's unlikely that a specific fetish would be passed down genetically, like I doubt there's an actual "Omo gene" or anything, but there could be certain factors like how many nerve endings are in your crotchal region and how they react to a wetting or desperation that could increase your enjoyment of it and lead you towards the fetish maybe? And a genetic predisposition towards fetishes in general sounds feasible, based on whatever impact genetics have on the way the brain forms, but as far as I know (and as others have said) the impact of genes on the brain is even less understood than it's effect on the body...

But besides that the main influence is probably external - I too have no particular "trigger" event but there's a lot to be said for how your parents approach toilet training for example. If you have strict parents who actively disapprove of accidents etc then you'd probably never think to try it on purpose... Too strict and you might try it out of rebellion, and if they're fairly liberal and forgiving you might (like I did!) try it for fun and find you like it! And while it's not a genetic thing, if you as a parent have the fetish then you might tend to be pretty lenient on your child if they wet themselves for fear of appearing hypocritical should they ever catch you at it yourself... So in that respect you might be likely to pass along the fetish that way...

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously preferences like that don't literally get transferred through genes, at least I very much doubt it. However, I do think it's possible that certain personality types, something you very well could get from your parents, might be prone to certain kinks or just being kinky in general. My dad is really into boots (something I wish he had never told me because it was super creepy), and I get most of my personality from him. My mom, however, has no kinks, and my brother, to my knowledge, doesn't either. And they are very similar to each other. So I think that it is possible that there is a correlation between genetics and fetishes, but I don't think one causes the other.

No, and the fact this is up for debate alone seems kind of dumb. At the very most there maybe be a very small predisposition factor for general behaviors? Something like how someone who enjoys omorashi may be less likely to conform to norms of society which could mayyyyybe be slightly affected by genetics? But even then with the number of people who like omorashi but feel bad about it, I don't even think you could say comfortableness with being different really is a major cause for omorashi. And even if there were very vague factors, which I don't think there were, you still wouldn't be able to use genetics to really say someone is more likely to get into omorashi because their parents were because those factors would be so distantly connected and have such little weight and above all most of those factors if affected by genetics aren't affected heavily and are mostly environmental behaviors. 

To list:

Being predisposed to omorashi, genetic or environmentally, without being introduced to it directly by someone, is not very likely to be a thing. There's no real underlying factors that make someone more likely to enjoy omorashi that you could poll the population for to single out people most likely to enjoy omorashi.

Even if there were factors for making you more likely to like omorashi, they would be very very loosely connected, you'd expect most people who match your factor to still not like omorashi.

And lastly even if a factor both existed and had a strong correlation (and had causation too, which isn't proven by just correlation), it is almost certainly behavioral/learned/environmental, and not genetic. 

That would be no, no aaand no, and I don't think anyone who actually has a clue on what they're talking about would argue otherwise, I don't really view this as debatable, though a good chance to learn about genetics still maybe.