Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kevin Ward is 100% at fault.   @naughty_lucy420, every point you made is correct.  He had no business jumping out of his car, wearing a black fire suit on a poorly lit track, no matter how mad he

Agreed on both points! On the Chase...  The reason I don't like it is that it doesn't really support drivers who are consistent all season long, which is basically what you said.  It's been a pee

Ok, that just sucks.  Normally I wouldn't wish ill on a car, but I really hope it goes up in smoke about 6 laps in.  Though if it does, that lying orange schmuk'll be saying it won on Monday.  

Posted Images

15 hours ago, tsporty1 said:

Yep, it's an owner/driver, but not single car team.  Though, SHR has had a technical alliance with Hendrick, which may or may not have happened in 1992 with Kulwicki.

And does anyone know what the NASCAR conference call was about?  And what came off the 48 and 78 failing LIS?

No points will be taken from either car, I just looked it up on jayski.com.  NASCAR is going to be more lenient during post race inspection.  I didn't hear anything about a conference call.

I'm sure the 78's alliance with JGR has had something to do with their success.

New Hampshire fantasy help (from jayski.com)

Who's Hot and Who's Not - New Hampshire
HOT
- Matt Kenseth: won last 2 New Hampshire races (no driver has ever won 3 straight at track)
- Kyle Busch: led 463 laps at New Hampshire since start of 2012 (most of any driver)
- Kevin Harvick: finished 4th or better in 3 of last 4 New Hampshire races (379 laps led)
- Brad Keselowski: 6.5 Avg finish in last 10 New Hampshire races (best among all drivers)
- Jimmie Johnson: finished 6th or better in last 4 Chase races at New Hampshire
NOT
- Martin Truex Jr.: no top-5 finishes in last 16 New Hampshire races
- Kurt Busch: 12 straight finishes of 10th or worse at New Hampshire (top-6 finish in each of previous 5 at track)
- Kyle Larson: finished 17th or worse in 3 New Hampshire races in 2014-15 (2nd and 3rd in 1st 2 starts at track)
- Chase Elliott: finished 34th in only NSCS start at New Hampshire
(ESPN Stats & Info)(9-23-2016)

I'm always bittersweet about Loudon.  Can't help but think about Adam and Kenny.  I was pregnant with my second son when they passed, and I wanted to name him Adam Kenny, but my dad said that was going too far.  However, I did name him Adam, I just let his father pick his middle name.  I get the same feeling at Daytona, because of Dale.  I still remember knowing he was gone when I saw Ken go check on him, and his reaction reminded me of Jimmy Means' after that wreck at the Glen that killed J.D. McDuffie.

That's why you'll never hear me complain about today's Sprint Cup series being "boring".  It's safer, and that's what's important. 

Ryan Reed, who I pull for because he's a type 1 diabetic, like me, is going to attempt to make the field for the Sprint Cup race at Talladega later this month.  (Weird that Talladega comes up as a spelling error.)  He will be in the Roush Racing #99, and if he makes it, it will be his debut in the NSCS.  Exciting stuff, though those Roush Fords have been pretty disappointing the last few seasons.

That's because Roush hasn't has a top notch driver since Edwards and Kenseth left.  Though Bayne could become a good driver and I'm excited about Darrell (Bubba) Wallace, as he seems to have a great personality and he can drive.  But right now, they are missing that driver who is a leader and can really help the team improve as Biffle is the senior driver, but he is inconsistent.

If there is a technical alliance with SHR next year and Harvick doesn't go to Hendrick to take the place of Kasey Kahne, Harvick may be the one to fill that role.

Rumor has it Newman could be out at RCR, Childress is ready to move Ty up next year, and with his permanent sponsor, Paul Menard's not going anywhere...Ah nepotism!

And, the first cut is made, and I think all the outs we've predicted were correct:  McMurray, Stewart, Larson, and Buescher.

That 78 team seems damn near unstoppable, and good luck's been with them.

The 78 should only be a little surprising.  Technical alliance with Gibbs, so he's got good engines.  The thing is, he has been mediocre as a driver in the past, so I don't know whether to believe his equipment is an issue or he's getting more from the alliance than just equipment.

I believe Furnature Row is going to start fielding a second team, but I have to wonder where the money is coming from.  I haven't heard of any other sponsors for that group, but I have heard they plan on running a #77 car in addition to the #78.  

I thought JGR was providing the chases and TRD provided engines to both JGR & FRR?  I was under the impression that both TRD and JGR was feeding them information (and probably both info and a bucket load of cash back in return). But those kind of details seem to be hard to fine compared to a series like F1 where more publications cover the technical/financial deals. But where the money comes from is a curious question - perhaps that FRR guy just want's a super cool toy.  It's not fundamentally different that buying any other sports team, I thought they mostly lost money but you get a nice tax write-off and something to do on the weekend ;)  

1 hour ago, tsporty1 said:

The 78 should only be a little surprising.  Technical alliance with Gibbs, so he's got good engines.  The thing is, he has been mediocre as a driver in the past, so I don't know whether to believe his equipment is an issue or he's getting more from the alliance than just equipment.

I believe Furnature Row is going to start fielding a second team, but I have to wonder where the money is coming from.  I haven't heard of any other sponsors for that group, but I have heard they plan on running a #77 car in addition to the #78.  

I heard FRR was only fielding that ride for 2017.  Erik Jones will be the driver.

1 hour ago, theHindrew said:

I thought JGR was providing the chases and TRD provided engines to both JGR & FRR?  I was under the impression that both TRD and JGR was feeding them information (and probably both info and a bucket load of cash back in return). But those kind of details seem to be hard to fine compared to a series like F1 where more publications cover the technical/financial deals. But where the money comes from is a curious question - perhaps that FRR guy just want's a super cool toy.  It's not fundamentally different that buying any other sports team, I thought they mostly lost money but you get a nice tax write-off and something to do on the weekend ;)  

Yes, TRD is providing engines to JGR and FRR.  I'm not exactly sure what's all shared in a technical alliance, but I know there's substantial money involved in it.

Per Jayski, Truex in the #78, Jones in the #77 in what looks to be a one year deal (looks like a deal to develop Jones for Gibbs) with the main sponsor being 5-Hour Energy for the #77. 

http://www.jayski.com/news/teams/story/_/page/77-Furniture-Row-NASCAR-Team-News

And alliances depend on the deal.  SHR gets engines from Hendrick, which must be frustrating to see Harvick being among the top drivers the last almost 3 years while Hendrick drivers aren't as dominant as they used to be.  But I'm imagining it's access to engineers and test data, as well as the drivers themselves bouncing ideas off each other.

20 hours ago, tsporty1 said:

And alliances depend on the deal.  SHR gets engines from Hendrick, which must be frustrating to see Harvick being among the top drivers the last almost 3 years while Hendrick drivers aren't as dominant as they used to be.  But I'm imagining it's access to engineers and test data, as well as the drivers themselves bouncing ideas off each other.

When SHR announced they would be switching to Ford starting in 2017, Hendrick Motorsports was very unhappy, to say the least.  They estimated the loss of that alliance with SHR would cost them around 2 million, easily.

I think the Hendrick cars are still somewhat dominant, with the exception of the 5...something's always lacked there, not just with Kasey, but for years before that.  Jeff's done well subbing in the 88, usually brings it back in the top 10, in one piece.  Chase has had a great rookie season, even if he hasn't won yet, it'll come sooner than later.  And, the 48 doesn't need me to talk about them, Jimmie's a living legend, and I hate to say I feel they should be running a lot stronger, winning multiple times, etc., because they've already proven they can do it.  So, maybe the equipment is lacking something, or maybe Toyota is just that damn good.    

Sparking a discussion...

Tony Stewart's civil trial in the death of Kevin Ward will likely begin next summer.  Regarding the death of Kevin Ward, who do you feel was at fault?

My feelings, Kevin himself.  He climbed into that car while he was under the influence of drugs, which I see as the biggest wrongdoing.  Yes, it was "only" marijuana, but I believe it impacted his judgement after the wreck, and probably impaired his driving abilities during the race.  You would have to be under the influence of something to climb out of a wrecked car and walk out on to a poorly-lit race track, towards traffic, wearing a black driver's suit.  The view from a sprint car is nothing like the view from your sedan; there was no way Tony could have seen him.  I've watched clips of the accident time and time again, and I never saw Tony "swerve towards Kevin" as some people have claimed, he was already driving in that groove on the track long before he reached Kevin.     

Kevin Ward is 100% at fault.  

@naughty_lucy420, every point you made is correct.  He had no business jumping out of his car, wearing a black fire suit on a poorly lit track, no matter how mad he was that he was involved in a crash.  Ward also almost got hit by another driver who passed him as he was walking out on the track.  And while walking toward the track, Kevin Ward HAD to know the vision in a Sprint Car is limited by the wing on both sides, as well as the fact the track was dark.  Also, there are people that forget the turning of these cars is not the same as your street car.  On dirt, with the power these cars generate, you have to turn toward the right while turning left, or your just going to barrel into the infield.

Hopefully the judge or jury (if there is a jury) is filled with people who understand the basics of Sprint Cars or can easily grasp that.