Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

I take a lot of ribbing from friends and some family members because I refuse to get a smartphone.  I also hear people snickering or notice them looking at me crazy when I use my ancient phone in public, but I don't care; I'm happy with my grandma's old phone that can only call and text (by pressing each key several times to get the letter or symbol).  I will NEVER get a higher tech phone ever again, for a good reason.  A few years ago, my techy phone was hacked.  All of my pictures were emailed to all of my contacts, and anyone appearing in the carbon copy area of messages I received, along with a slanderous message about me.  The hacker(s) turned on my GPS, and sent me texts from short-code numbers telling me how far I was from the nearest cell phone tower at that particular time.  They also could apparently see all the texts I sent and received, and sent me (and some of the people I texted with) more short-code messages containing fragments of the texts, or replied on their own.  I did the usual block, and soon got another message:  "Blocks won't stop me".  So, I called the phone company (I won't say which one) and explained what was happening, and they claimed that was "impossible" and that they had no idea what I was talking about.  This was actually before it happened to all those celebrities, and made big news, so maybe they really didn't know, but it sure wasn't impossible, because it happened to me.  I had them change the number, but I seldom used it after that.  When my grandma died, I just asked my parents if I could have her phone, which was on their plan, and they said yes, so they wouldn't have to pay to shut it off.  I paid to shut off mine, and have only used grandma's phone ever since.  I never found out who did it, either.

Anyone else ever been through that?  If so, did it change how you use technology? 

I've never had a smartphone, so obviously it hasn't happened to me. I also have a phone that is probably something like your granny's (phone, text and alarm), and it's all I need or want. People assume I must have a smartphone and are surprised that I don't. Some feel sorry for me and try to give me ideas about how I can get hold of one cheap. It apparently doesn't occur to them that I might not want one! Even my close friends who know me well think I'm being a bit silly about it and try to tell me what I'm missing.

My reason for saying no is that I spend my whole life on computers. I work on them. I relax on them. I communicate, get news, play and even masturbate on them. I have the world and my world at my fingertips all day long. I have two netbooks so I can travel with them too. The only thing I don't do with my computers is I don't take them with me when I go out for a stroll, or go shopping or meet friends. And I can't think of a single reason why I would want to. Sure I have a phone in case there is an emergency or something, but not a computer and I don't want one.

Any, what happened to you sucks. I guess they could have done something similar on your computer and it would have sucked too. But whatever the reason, I do think life is better without a smartphone, and I don't trust them either.

Guest tortoise

My phone itself (I have an iPhone) has never been hacked, but my iTunes account associated with it, has been hacked. I lost £30 worth of songs from a Chinese hacker, who replaced all of my pop music with Chinese songs. Through this, my email address was also hacked into and has been lost for a good four years now...

16 hours ago, alexwbj said:

My reason for saying no is that I spend my whole life on computers. I work on them. I relax on them. I communicate, get news, play and even masturbate on them. I have the world and my world at my fingertips all day long.

Very interesting statement - thanks for talking so open about that :) ! I think some of us can relate to a certain degree.

Concerning the experiences described above: what seems to be possible with a hacked smartphone is already pretty scary o.o !

I wonder how this will continue. I mean we have "smart"phones and "smart"cars and even "smart"houses, where you can control virtually everything, are only a matter of time.

It might become even more lucrative for criminals to hack personal devices in future (so will become sales of protective software for those devices, I guess).

Edited by Hummingbird (see edit history)