RainbowDash

Can guys wear skirts?

46 posts in this topic

This is a debate I've had before but not just for skirts. Should men be socially allowed to wear whatever they want to? If a woman wants to wear clothes that are thought to be men's then that's okay, even actually from the boy's department. But as soon as a guy is like, "wow this feels nice" or "I like the way this looks" and is talking about girl clothes then boom! he is considered a cross dresser, or gay. The gay argument really shouldn't be there at all but for some reason it is. 

So if a guy wants to wear a skirt or maybe it's just a girl's t-shirt, should that be okay? Is it possible to drop gender ideas from clothing, after all it's just cloth, girls just have the softer/better materials in my opinion. If at all possible don't argue that men would look silly or weird in girl's clothes. That's basically my point, girls don't look weird in pants because that's considered normal, a guy in a skirt is against a social norm so he would "look weird".

Also I understand that if a guy wants to wear girl's clothes then he can. Physically he can but the social backlash about it is what I question, is it deserved or not?

Let me know what you think. 

clothes are clothes, i seen plenty of guys in skirts,

I'm not gay as it happens, and not a cross-dresser either. I'm not really into skirts (even on girls) so don't ever feel tempted to wear one. But I sometimes used to share some of my girlfriend's clothes, such as shirts or jeans, thought they were the kind either gender might wear. I also sometimes wore her panties (and she sometimes borrowed my underpants too). Not a big deal, and nobody else even knew. Oh yes, and I sometimes wore here pjs to. The fun thing was when I wore something of hers and peed in it :)

Besides that, now that I live alone I have a few girls' items that bought myself mainly thinking of the fun I could have wetting them, but I don't only wear them when I wet them. I have women's shorts, yoga pants, and stuff like that. They are nice and comfortable and I enjoy wearing them, but only do it in private because... people. If I wanted to wear more "feminine" clothes I would, I just don't like them as much. And if I wanted to wear them out in public I would. I just don't feel that need or desire.

Be proud and free. I don't have any issue with that!

Of course guys can wear skirts. Might not get the most positive reactions in present-day America for doing so in public unless they can convince the casual observer they're female, but that doesn't make the act of a guy wearing a skirt impossible.

On a related note, I'm a guy, I wear panties and sleep in a nightie, but the farthest I've gone with public crossdressing is wearing pantyhose with mens slack shorts.

Of course they can, guys have been wearing skirts for as long as culture has existed.

K i l t s. They are considered to be manly as fuck. A true symbol of badassery. By the very definition of skirt, a kilt is a skirt.

Remember kids, there are no rules. Just different perceptions from different people.

I'm actually really happy to see this many positive responses. 

On 7/5/2016 at 2:24 PM, RavenEevee said:

clothes are clothes, i seen plenty of guys in skirts,

You're right. That's what my friend actually said about it too. When I told him I like girl clothes he said that it didn't matter and since he wasn't the one wearing them why should he care at all.

That kind of view should be spread more in my opinion. 

And honestly the only one who has shown any issue with it is my fiance. She isn't a big fan of some of the things I like.

All the Scottish stereotypes in the world can't be wrong ;P

I wouldn't wear one, but then again, i don't really know why girls wear them either. They look inconvenient, and they DON'T HAVE POCKETS *faints*

^But there are skirts with pockets, and plenty of pants without pockets or with pockets so small they're useless. Besides, that's what purses are for: Carrying things you don't have enough pockets to carry. Black pantyhose under slack shorts might be the extent to which I've worn female attire in public, but I've been carrying a Purse for at least eight years, and while my purses have consisted of a pair of messenger bags, a pair of canvas totes, and a pair of laptop bags, I've never been one to deny that I've been carrying a purse.

Though, if my nighties are any indicator, I suspect I'd find a sundress or a t-shirt and pleated skirt more comfortable than my usual t-shirt and slack shorts ensemble, especially during the summer months if for no reason other than it would provide better ventilation between waist and knees or would be less constricting. Only having to worry if it fits around my waist and is long enough for modesty sounds a lot easier than trying to find shorts that are bigg enough in the waist, long enough for modesty, have enough space between waistband and crotch that I can actually pull them up to my waist without them digging into the family jewels, and making sure the legs are wide enough to not squeeze my thighs(Seriously, a skin tight fit is not something you want with thick, inelastic fabric).

It's mainly the pressure of social norms that keeps me wearing men's clothes.

Clothes are clothes - if a guy wants to wear a skirt, why shouldn't he? Skirts are great, everyone should get to feel fabulous in one ;)

Guys can wear what ever they want

Seriously, there should be no repercussions for males wearing female clothing besides the obvious factors. By that, I mean that women's clothing seems to have fewer pockets, be thinner and be more fragile.

I actually have a problem with women's clothing itself, as it (on top of the aforementioned practical issues) can be very revealing, to a degree that is unsuitable for public viewing. Some stuff I have seen about is essentially like a publically worn version of lingerie. Why market this for women in a world where equality and fair balance finally stars to progress?

[Ramble alert] Reminds me of this time once, where a woman I knew asked me "do I look like a prostitute in this?", even though she normally didn't seem to be the promiscuous type or anything. At the time she was wearing the most ridiculous outfit imaginable, boobs dangerously close to exposing themselves fully through the neckline, shirt's bottom cut revealing midriff and nearly causing breast exposure from underneath instead, short skirt or glorified cloth belt that would show her vagina by merely walking up stairs, the works. I answered honestly "Yes", but this caused a whole drama where she thought I was saying I considered herself to be such, when I answered her question literally* and simply meant the clothing made her look such.

*Don't ask someone with Asperger's Syndrome a question unless you want and expect a literal answer.

I'm of the opinion everyone should be able to wear whatever type of clothing they would like, as long as you're not having any parts that need to be covered in public going uncovered.

I'm a male and personally love wearing skirts.  I wish it was acceptable for males to wear skirts in public as regular daily wear, but that is not the case where I live.  I've also heard yoga pants are great as well and would like to be able to wear them, but don't because it's considered unacceptable.  If it were acceptable, I'd probably wear nothing but skirts and dresses for work and skirts, shorts, and yoga pants for my life outside work.

Since it was brought up, I'll add that I don't understand why people make such a big deal about modesty. If I could get away with it, I'd go topless in public most of the year simply because it's too damn hot to be wearing a shirt in the summer months, but even as a guy, i'd be lucky to not get arrested for indecent exposure if I went topless in public anywhere but a beach. Hell, even tank tops and closed vests are frown upon in most settings if not worn over a shirt with proper sleeves.

I also don't get people's obsession with wearing shoes in public, and if concrete wasn't so good at getting hot when left in direct sunlight, I'd probably test how far I could go being barefoot in public(as it is, I frequently remove my footwear while sitting in class and wear sandals most of the year).

Honestly, I think those island tribes of the pacific who routinely wear nothing but a loincloth are on to something when it comes to dressing for warm weather.

Skirts are so comfortable. It's rather weird that they're only usually worn by women, who mostly don't have testicles to pack away, whereas men constrain themselves in less comfortable trousers.

That they don't have pockets isn't intractable - it would be very easy to make them with pockets if that became fashionable. It would be wonderful if it were socially acceptable for everyone to wear skirts. They'd be brilliant in summer/on hot days, not to mention the omo benefits ;D 

I have a Jean skirt with pockets.  They could be bigger, but they are zip up pockets.

And the comfort aspect is one most people don't think about.  I'd much rather have room to move properly than be so constricted.

If I would be a woman, I would wear skirts and dresses all the time. It's so easy to pee yourself and get away with it! 

I'm afraid I don't have a link to any study or anything (and am too lazy to go find one) but I've heard that wearing skirts or similar garments are better for men because it results in healthier sperm since there is more air circulation and it's easier for the testes to keep cool.

Honestly I don't really care one way or the other how someone dresses (to a reasonable degree of course). If a guy wants to wear a skirt let him.

Edited by CaptainCranberry

On 16 June 2016 at 6:48 AM, RainbowDash said:

This is a debate I've had before but not just for skirts. Should men be socially allowed to wear whatever they want to? If a woman wants to wear clothes that are thought to be men's then that's okay, even actually from the boy's department. But as soon as a guy is like, "wow this feels nice" or "I like the way this looks" and is talking about girl clothes then boom! he is considered a cross dresser, or gay. The gay argument really shouldn't be there at all but for some reason it is. 

So if a guy wants to wear a skirt or maybe it's just a girl's t-shirt, should that be okay? Is it possible to drop gender ideas from clothing, after all it's just cloth, girls just have the softer/better materials in my opinion. If at all possible don't argue that men would look silly or weird in girl's clothes. That's basically my point, girls don't look weird in pants because that's considered normal, a guy in a skirt is against a social norm so he would "look weird".

Also I understand that if a guy wants to wear girl's clothes then he can. Physically he can but the social backlash about it is what I question, is it deserved or not?

Let me know what you think. 

I personally like to wear whatever I feel comfortable in, and if that means that I'm forever wearing trousers and t-shirts then so be it. My view is, if a guy is more comfortable wearing a skirt than he is wearing pants/trousers, so freakin' be it. 

It doesn't mean he's gay, or a cross dresser. That's like saying that a girl who wears guy clothes is a cross dresser. I know for a fact that my sister prefers to wear men's boxers to girlie panties, there's no harm in it, it's just what she feels comfortable in. 

9 hours ago, Auto-Cons Rule said:

I personally like to wear whatever I feel comfortable in, and if that means that I'm forever wearing trousers and t-shirts then so be it. My view is, if a guy is more comfortable wearing a skirt than he is wearing pants/trousers, so freakin' be it. 

It doesn't mean he's gay, or a cross dresser. That's like saying that a girl who wears guy clothes is a cross dresser. I know for a fact that my sister prefers to wear men's boxers to girlie panties, there's no harm in it, it's just what she feels comfortable in. 

This is exactly my point. Clothes doesn't have a gender. They just have different styles in my mind.

In other news, I actually got some socks from the women's section that are CRAZY comfy. They are called Pillow sole. I showed them to my parents and mom said that they were girl socks and I said that socks don't have gender and that they are comfortable. And she was just like okay. But that's far from being able to wear a skirt around here....

Note: Sorry for making a thread and never posting around. I'm bad at that. I'm hardly ever on these days.

On 8/1/2016 at 4:38 PM, CaptainCranberry said:

I'm afraid I don't have a link to any study or anything (and am too lazy to go find one) but I've heard that wearing skirts or similar garments are better for men because it results in healthier sperm since there is more air circulation and it's easier for the testes to keep cool.

Honestly I don't really care one way or the other how someone dresses (to a reasonable degree of course). If a guy wants to wear a skirt let him.

I've heard that too. That's my only issue with it, I mean, who wants kids right? All kidding aside, I love how studies do show that kilts and skirts are better for men's health but no one really cares but then you whisper the word kale and you're a revolutionary trend setter.

And for that last bit, it's easy to say "Let guys wear what they want to" but it's another thing for it to be actually accepted in reality. Granted, recently in the UK there was a change that allows boys to wear a girl's uniform and vice versa. It will be mostly used so girls can wear pants but obviously it get clicks it was advertised that "Boys can now wear skirts to school in the UK"

On 7/17/2016 at 11:27 AM, Jeffery Mewtamer said:

Since it was brought up, I'll add that I don't understand why people make such a big deal about modesty. If I could get away with it, I'd go topless in public most of the year simply because it's too damn hot to be wearing a shirt in the summer months, but even as a guy, i'd be lucky to not get arrested for indecent exposure if I went topless in public anywhere but a beach. Hell, even tank tops and closed vests are frown upon in most settings if not worn over a shirt with proper sleeves.

I also don't get people's obsession with wearing shoes in public, and if concrete wasn't so good at getting hot when left in direct sunlight, I'd probably test how far I could go being barefoot in public(as it is, I frequently remove my footwear while sitting in class and wear sandals most of the year).

Honestly, I think those island tribes of the pacific who routinely wear nothing but a loincloth are on to something when it comes to dressing for warm weather.

I'm not sure where you're from but in the US, some states actually allow women to be topless in public as much as men because it's fair. That's one of my favourite movements here because it's equal rights for something that isn't super important or life changing but it's about personal preference. I also love that the first state to do it was Main, Pretty cold there. However there was a clause to the ruling. A woman can be topless anywhere a man can be topless in public, as long as it's not for "advertisement" purposes. Which I find awkward but funny.

Also, if you go barefoot enough you'll be able to walk on the hot pavement without issue. Your feet will calace so that might not be what you'd want but it is possible.

I think it's totally fine cause people should be able to wear what they want. 

I wear girls underwear most of the time and skirts/other girls clothes  Occasionally. It's just what I think is comfier really.   As for it being socially acceptable it's really just where your from. Some places may be fine with it whilst others go crazy mad about it.

Wearing skirts or dresses doesn't interest me personally, but I don't care if other guys wear them. I actually think that most guys harbour at least a minor attraction towards some articles of women's clothing. 

I don't consider myself a cross dresser at all, and I don't own any women's clothing, and I don't think my wife would understand if I suddenly started buying it, but I've got a few items that I would like to own, primarily for my wetting games. 

:Top of the list, a one piece bathing suit. God I'd love one!

:Full cut panties

:Pantyhose 

:Knee socks. I know guys can wear these, but bright stripey ones, or polka dots, feminine patterns.

:Girlie patterned pyjamas and nighties. 

:Yoga pants, tights and leggings.

None of the above items would I ever wear in public, but I'd certainly like to have some playtime in them. 

Everything I hear make yoga pants sound like the greatest thing.  Maybe I can lose some weight and get myself a couple pairs.  I already need new skirts and panties anyway, so why not get yoga pants at the same time?

Yoga pants are really comfortable and awesome and everyone should always wear them :P

I think "male" clothes are barely even a thing - besides boxers there's very little I can think of that'd look as... obvious on a girl as a dress would on a guy, and they're generally hidden anyways. I mean, guys clothes are what? trousers & t-shirt? there's absolutely no stigma to women wearing that! :wink:

Just to be clear I definitely agree with the whole "wear anything you want" idea and although I have no particular desire to wear a dress myself I'm kinda tempted to get some panties to see what they're like... Women wear trousers all the time in fact I know very few who regularly wear dresses (most of my friends are women) and the only difference I notice is that women get fewer pockets - apparently clothes makers think they don't need them or something? I guess it's more a question of wanting it to be socially acceptable - definitely nowhere near that now, but it seems like more people are trying it these days so hopefully it's starting to loosen the stigma a little...