Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

*Considering there's now a 'Interactive Story' section of the forum, I want to give it a go myself. I know this may appear to be rather bad, considering my track record for all of the written word works I have done, but I aim to see this one through to its conclusion. After all, psychologically speaking, if I don't known the end of my own story, I'll be more willing to reach it, as it'll be as much of a surprise for me as it will be for my readers. Unlike the numerous great artists on this site, I am lacking in the ability to perform aesthetic magic with paper and pen. However, my power lies in the written word so, as possibly expected, this will be fully text based. In short, I aim to make this like the 'Escape the Room' games you sometimes find on mobile platforms. However, this one will be in a much larger 'room', so to speak. This 'room' will be a full building, filled with tricks, traps, puzzles and damp questionable patches on the floor (if it comes to that).*

*Here's the basic rundown, the Audience will be giving orders to our young trapped heroine, a young girl by the name of Emi, to try and help her escape from her prison while also discovering the reason why she was trapped there in the first place. Unlike most stories like this, Emi has her own ideas of what she may or may not want to do so, sometimes, she may disobey orders given to her if certain conditions are not met, or if she believes they'll pose more harm than good to her. During her time trapped, she may express certain 'needs' and, if they are not met, they'll do a number on her Morale to escape the place, which may result in our young heroine being too demoralized to actually try and do anything. However, with some kind comforting words from her guides, she may regain the will to press on.*

*How things will be done: Like most Interactive stories, popular vote will determine what commands are given to Emi. Each person can give a maximum of three potential orders, these orders cannot be conflicting and they cannot be too vague. If there is a tie, Emi may decide which order she wishes to follow, or she may come up with her own solution to the problem posed. Whether Emi will listen to the orders given relies on three factors. These factors are her current mood, her current morale level and her current trust level with her advisers. These statistics will be given if requested, but only the maximum of once per five choices to prevent spam of statistics. After all, scrolling can be done and I will indicate any changes to statistics when they happen. Choices will appear at the end of each of my posts, like all the interactive stories I've seen.*

*Now the intro is out of the way, on with the story! Will we be able to help young Emi escape from her prison, or will she be doomed to wander the hallways and corridors for the rest of her life?*

A slight high-pitched whirring sound echoed inside the enclosed space as a Night-vision camera snapped open to display what appeared to be a classroom of sorts with a young girl lying unconscious on the floor in front of the teacher's desk. The room itself looked to be in disrepair, with broken floorboards, cabinets, tables and chairs lying scattered around, like the site of a huge windstorm. When the camera's lens began to finally focus, the room gained some semblance of colour. It looked like an old wooden school classroom. with a traditional blackboard and chalk and the front of the class. No light seemed to come in through the many windows dotting the left hand side of the room, and no light seemed to come from underneath the doors on the right hand side of the room. The surveillance of the room was soon cut short when the sound of movement came from the girl on the floor.  A slight groan escape from her lips as she slowly began to push herself up.

At present, the camera only had view of her back. She had long light-brown hair which stretched down to the middle of her back, slightly wavy in the middle and curled a little at the base of the strands. She was wearing what looked like a uniform of sorts, but it was kind of hard to tell at present, considering her hair covered most of it. By her side was a small pink backpack branded with a popular children's cartoon character. A name-tag could be seen on the side of the bag. The name on the bag read 'Emi. Class 2-C'. She looked to be unhurt and relatively calm, like she'd just woken from slumber in her own room. A small hand reached up from her side to rub her eyes. A rather natural reaction, despite the situation. After some more quiet groans and a yawn, the girl's mood suddenly changed. Her breathing quickened and her small body began to tremble.

"Where am I?" The quaking voice of the girl quietly asked the empty space in front of her. "What happened?! Where am I?!"

The girl began to curl up into a ball and her breathing quickened even more. Terror must have finally set in.

What will you do:

Interact (Talk)

Check Status

Examine Surroundings

Other (Please specify)

*Brief rundown of what each choice means. (More will be given as the story progresses.)

Interact: This command encompasses talking, using items and examining objects. At present, the only 'Interact' available is talking. You can say a maximum of two sentences in one interaction, and each sentence can be no longer than ten words. You can give exact sentences, or you can give a rundown of what you'd like to say and leave the wording to me. Any questions you ask can be either direct or indirect. Depending on the question, asking it directly may result in a decline of Morale or Trust, and the same could be said for the opposite. Think carefully about Emi's current status and plan accordingly. Asking questions via 'Interact' is done by the Audience, or the camera drone which the audience is piloting, to be specific, unless stated otherwise.

Check Status: This command allows you to check Emi's current Status Levels, like Morale and trust and others. This option can either be done with the Camera's scanners or by asking Emi. Of course, doing so without permission may result in a decline of Trust. After all, girls are sensitive. You can state which way you want to do it. Like above, questions can be direct or indirect in this sense, with the same cautions as Interaction.

Examine Surroundings: This command speaks for itself. Use this command if you want to take a closer look at the current room or place the story is in. Again, this command can either be done with the Audience Camera or by asking Emi to do it. Be warned: Emi does not have night vision. This command may be dangerous in certain situations if you want Emi to do something. Also, the camera cannot pick up, use or interact with anything in the environment. Working as a team with Emi and the Audience is a necessity.

Other: This command allows you to come up with your own ideas of what to do. Please remember that there is a three action limit, and that applies to both 'Other' and listed commands combined. Use this command if you want a little freedom. Of course, if you are vague with your command, it'll be left to my interpretation.

When I have received enough suggestions (Around ten to be safe) I will continue this*

Edited by Roka-tan (see edit history)
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*Considering there's now a 'Interactive Story' section of the forum, I want to give it a go myself. I know this may appear to be rather bad, considering my track record for all of the written word wor

*Votes are tied at present, it seems. Please remember, though it may not be very useful near the start, that you can make three suggestions of actions each choice break, meaning that three actions can

*Turn out this time was a lot less than I expected. Anyway, it's been over 3-4 days since the last reply, so I'll just continue on with the winning choice.* *Winning Choice: Ask Emi what's in her

Posted Images

I suggest we talk to Emi first, to calm her down and give her an understanding of where she is and comfort her...make her feel safe (well, as safe you can possibly feel after waking up alone in a dark, abandoned classroom...)

We don`t want her to panic right from the start now, do we?

EDIT: Not sure if I understood this correctly, if we (the audience) talk to Emi, it will be through various items or the camera drone? Not 100% sure how exactly we can communicate with her^^

Edited by YaoiOmoFanatic (see edit history)

*Votes are tied at present, it seems. Please remember, though it may not be very useful near the start, that you can make three suggestions of actions each choice break, meaning that three actions can take place each reply of mine. Considering it's a tie at present and no-one else seems to be making suggestions, I'll move on a little.*

*Winning Choice: Tied*

Due to the near-imminent fact that this poor girl was soon to start hyperventilating, maybe trying to calm her down is the better option. You try to communicate with the girl through the Speaker on the Drone.

"Don't be scared. You're not alone here. You're safe."

Due to the limited transfer capacity of the drone, communication has to be brief. The girl seemed to react to the voice, but not in a good way.

"This is just a dream. This is just a dream." The girl began to quietly repeat to herself.

It appears that she's still stuck on the fact that you've yet to show yourself, and probably believes the voice to be a figment of her imagination. In one last vain attempt, you move over to the front of the girl, switch the torch onto a dim light and try once more to calm her down. 

"Please don't be afraid. I'm here to help."

After seeing the light, the girl began to look up at you, tears streaking the edges of her deep green eyes. At first, she regarded you with fear, but soon calmed down a little upon hearing you speak once more.

"Who are you? What are you? Where am I?" The girl asked.

You gave your response once more that you were there to help her and, sadly, did not know where you currently were. To help learn where you both were, you suggested to look around the room a little more. It took some convincing, but the girl soon came along with the idea upon hearing that it may help find a way out. When the girl collected her bag and tried to stand up, she seemed to grimace a little and instinctively clutch at her abdomen. She didn't appear to bear any outward injuries, however, her clothes hid most of the places where injuries could be, and they were also covering this particular place. You could perform a scan of her to try and determine what may have caused the pain, but it takes a while and is normally seen as an invasion of privacy so may, therefore, be regarded with disdain.

Once Emi was on her feet, you began to lead the search with the torch mounted onto your current stand-in. You increased the intensity of the beam to maximum, but it still only provided as much light as a normal torch, which wasn't a lot, but it would do.

Aside from the collection of broken furnishings on the floor, further back in the room appeared to be easels and various cabinets filled with art materials. Perhaps this room was not just a classroom, but an art room? However, these could have just been moved in here from another place. Along with the art supplies, there were a few desks left in once piece, standing strong like they were prepared for another day of being used. Some of these desks may not be empty. After all, this place may have been abandoned in a hurry. Along the outside wall was a large window covering nearly the entire wall, moonlight permeating the darkness surrounding that side of the room. Aside from being caked with dust, these windows may provide a vague understanding of where you both currently are, however, they may also just overlook a courtyard somewhere on the campus of this school.

On the opposite side to the window was the interior wall, which had two doors leading out of the room, one door was near the teacher's desk, and the other door was near the Easels at the back of the room. Maybe checking out the rest of the place may provide a better understanding?

There were a lot of opportunities for searching in this one room. Aside from things currently present, Emi also has her backpack on her, which may include some basic appliances which may be used creatively.

What will you do?

Interact (Talk With Emi)

Ask Emi about what's in her bag

Search the Desks

Search the Easels

Search the Cabinets

Look out the Windows

Leave the room

Check Status (Ask Emi or Scan)

Other (please specify)

*As before, the next response will come after 5 people have given suggestions, or within 3-4 days if less suggestions are provided. Please remember you can offer up to three actions at a time for Emi or the Drone to do, and please remember each character's limitations.*

Edited by Roka-tan (see edit history)

*Turn out this time was a lot less than I expected. Anyway, it's been over 3-4 days since the last reply, so I'll just continue on with the winning choice.*

*Winning Choice: Ask Emi what's in her bag.*

Instead of searching the room for any hints or tips, you decided to search a little closer than that. You noticed the bag Emi had on her, and thought that she may have some useful items in there to use to aid the escape. You request that Emi opens her bag to see what she's got inside and, potentially, produce something useful from the black hole which is a girl's bag.

"My bag? Oh, sure...I guess..." Emi replies, a little unsure as to why someone she'd only just met, and not even in person, was asking her to reveal what she had in her bag. "All I've got are basic school stuff, like pens, and things."

*Command Opened: Check Inventory!*

*Check Inventory allows you to request Emi opens her bag once more to see what items you have. Any items you pick up on the way through this place will be placed into Emi's bag and added to the inventory list. Please take into account item sizes, as not all items will fit into a girl's backpack. If an item is too big to place in the bag, it will be notified before pick-up. Emi can only carry so much in her bag, however, there may be some things you can find to increase this Inventory Limit for a bit.*

Emi began to remove items from her bag and place them onto the floor, narrating what she had on her at the time.

*Current Inventory: A 500ml bottle of water (half empty), A 500ml bottle of Isotonic Sports drink (Summer Fruits flavour. Unopened), Six Fruit scented Gel-pens of varying colours, a pink 30cm ruler, a stack of exercise books of varying subjects, a Large Science reference book (quite heavy), some snacks (Crisps, cookies, etc.), P.E Uniform (Classic style: Dark Blue shorts and a white and light blue polo shirt coupled with plimsolls), School-issue Swimsuit (also with the P.E uniform), a Mobile phone (50% power, no signal) with charger, a pink cat-printed notebook.*

Emi's backpack was filled with what would be expected inside a girl of her age's backpack. Nothing too remarkable, though some of them could be used creatively if necessary. Emi put all of her current belongings back into her backpack.

After rifling through Emi's school life in a nutshell, you were still left with the dilemma of where to search first.

What will you do?

Interact (Talk with Emi or use an item from Inventory on something)

Check Inventory

Search the Desks

Search the Easels

Search the Cabinets

Search the Windows

Check Status (Ask Emi or Scan)

Leave the Room

Other (Please specify)

*Hopefully, there'll be a better turn out this time. Like before, upon receiving 5 suggestions, or after 3-4 days, I'll continue with this*

1) [Search the cabinets] using our camera, then [Search the desks].

2) At the same time, [Interact] - ask Emi to look through the windows and tell us what she sees.

Gotta be prepared before we leave the room, so we wouldn't have to backtrack in case we missed something important.

*Better turn out this time. :) Current standing is as follows: 4 for searching cabinets, 2 for searching desks, 1 for leaving room, 1 for asking Emi to search the windows and 1 for Scanning Emi. As mentioned previously, there can be a maximum of 3 actions a post. At present, two actions have been decided due to votes and they are searching the cabinets and then searching the desks. I'll leave the next section until tomorrow evening to see if we get any further votes for a third action.*

*But, but Lisk, Emi will be doing thingsss while these are going on. After all, the drone has no armss to hold thingsss.*

*Winning vote(s): Searching Cabinets, then searching desks.*

You pondered for a while where to begin your search in this strange place. After some thought, two ideas came into your head and you voiced them to your companion, or, rather, 'recited' them to her.

"Good idea. We should start close before going further in." Emi answered with an approving nod. "I'll search the desks while you search the cabinets, If you need me to do stuff, just shout, 'kay?"

You parted ways with Emi for all about five feet as you began to head over to the cabinets near the back of the room. While hovering through the darkness, you noticed a little less traction somewhere near the toppled desks at the back of the classroom just before the cabinets. A sudden drop in the gravitational pull of the floor alerted you to what looked like a giant crack of broken floorboards a few feet away from the door to the hallway at the back of the room. Good thing you didn't send Emi this way otherwise...it's better to not think about it. The drop didn't do much to deter you, though, as your flight sensors kicked in and you felt yourself being lifted into the air slightly as you casually hovered over the broken floorboards, taking a moment to look through them to the lower level. It appeared that you were on the first floor, or second floor if the ground floor was the first floor, it didn't really matter, though, as you knew you were one floor off ground level above another classroom. That was quite the drop.... If there were any more of these, it may be better to scout ahead before letting Emi roam free in the darkness. Additionally, heights posed one more problem, if certain factors were pulled into the equation.

Regardless, you reached the cabinets and began to start your search of them. A few of the cabinets, around three of the five, had broken doors on them so they were easily raided. Just basic art supplies, that's all: Paints, felt tip pens, charcoal, chalk, oil pastels, scissors, paintbrushes, the usual. And a few pieces of decaying paper. Some items could be useful, however, so it may be worth noting them. Sadly, two of the five cabinets were firmly shut. One of the had what looked like a hammer inside while the other had a strange, diamond shaped piece of pink metal sitting in the center of it. The locks on them were simple, at best, and easily picked with the right tools, which regrettably you don't possess. Improvisation may be necessary. A hairclip bent to the right angle may be all that is needed to unlock them, but does Emi wear hairclips? If picking the lock was out of the question, the doors were glass and wood so they could easily be broken with enough force, but, is violence always the answer?

"Find anything?" Emi called over from her place among the desks. "I couldn't find much over here, but that could be just me. You've got a light and I've got nothing but the windows to help, and they're too dirty to let any light in."

You inform Emi of your findings, and also of the giant hole in the floor.

"Best to go around, then." She answered, almost jovially. "Want me to collect anything from there?"

What would you do?

Interact (Talk with Emi, use items)

Check Inventory

Request items to be collected (please state)

Continue searching cabinets

Help Emi search desks

Search the Windows

Check Status

Leave the room

Other

*Same rules apply as normal. Please note that Checking the inventory is a free action and does not count towards the three action limit. Requesting Emi to come over will mean she leaves the room and enters through the door nearest the cabinets.*

• 2 weeks later...