Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

What are your top anime pet peeves/annoyances?

Saw this on a FB page about Japanese/Anime merchandise and decided that it was a rather valid question worth talking about. So, as a brief explanation, just post the main thing (or things) which you really hate happening in animes. This doesn't mean that you hate the anime as a whole, it just means that you hate the one scene, or the one chapter, with this particular annoyance in. You can explain the scene as a whole, but do so in spoiler text, as a validation for your answer. You can give more than one answer at a time, or several over a course of a few posts (with other people's opinions between them, please) if you like.

For an example, I'll start this all off:

One thing which I really hate included in the animes I watch are stupid protagonists who always go after the girls with the biggest chest-cannons, despite how horribly they may have treated them throughout the series, and completely ignore the one girl (or sometimes several girls) who actually love them and treat them like a person rather than a piece of trash. One prime example which pops to mind is the anime 'OreShura'.

Here's the reason why I hate this particular thing:

In the final two episodes of OreShura, there's a competition at the beach which includes several people coming up, one at a time, and listing the person they love and why the love them. All the Main Girls in the series all go up and take part in this competition to gain the approval of the MC's Aunt for their potential Marriage proposal. One of the girls (the best girl, in my opinion) called Chiwa, whom is the MC's childhood friend and the very reason why he pursued to Study Medicine with all his being, confesses her love for the MC, in front of a huge audience, and lists just exactly why she loves him. Now, in any normal case, this would be an immediate ticket to saying 'I'm going to Marry that girl' as it must have taken her a HUGE amount of courage to confess these feelings. However, the worst girl, the very reason I have this pet peeve, doesn't even take part in this competition at all. As the final episode rolls around, the MC must choose who he wishes to be shipped with. Does he choose the one girl who summoned up all her courage to confess her feelings for him in front of a huge audience, or the one girl who's treated him like complete trash throughout the entirety of the series and has a relationship with him built solely on lies and deceit? Any normal and sane person would choose option 1, right? WRONG! This idiot goes for the epitome of the slang term for a Female Dog. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH HIM?! Granted, he doesn't ship with any girl as of yet as the Animators probably wanted to continue the series, but it's pretty obvious that he's going to choose her. That ruined the entirety of the series for me. However, if they ever do release a S.2 of this anime, I'll probably still watch it for more Chiwa.

I can say one thing I can't stand in anime, or well hentai for that matter is big breasted characters, I want to see a girl with a normal sized chest not something so large. That it would take four people to full hold those enormous things. I think its just a waste of time to watch and one of the reasons why I don't watch much of that anymore. Second would have to be adding in filler episodes into anime, sometimes this can work out well and be a funny thing to watch. Like the episode of DB where Goku and Picollo learned to drive it was a funny episode sure, it was filler bit I enjoyed it. Other times filler can get so, bad like in Naruto where after the first series canon was over. They went into a filler hell arc that last many, many episodes before moving onto Naruto Shippuden.  

I enjoyed Dragonball Z a lot. It was one of my first animes but I digress...it annoyed me how almost everything was "everybody gets their butt kicked until Goku shows up." There were a few rare exceptions to break the pattern, but after awhile it got predictable and annoying. I also wasn't a fan of it getting super focused on the Saiyan characters and making everyone else next to useless against the main Big Bads.

That said, my favorite fight is Piccolo vs Android 17. That was brutal. Goku vs Frieza might be my favorite if it didn't drag on and on so long.

This is going to sound really strange, but I can't stand shows where the main cast is nothing but a bunch of guys. Doesn't matter to me how attractive they are, I can't stand them because I know most of the time, those shows are just made to pander to the female gaze and gay guy gaze, and I don't like how they can get away with it and not be called 'trashy' like a show full of girls would.

I could go on and on and on about this, as I have a whole rant saved up, but I think you get the point.

I get annoyed by unnecessary exposition. Not just in anime, but any form in which a story is told.

For example, "the girl held the boys hand and he smiled. He was feeling a sense of joy at this moment."

We already get the idea that the guy is happy in this situation. Why do you need to go on and explain something we, the audience, can already derive from the situation?

We have a bit more intelligence than you might think.

This kind of thing happens quite frequently, and I see it more often in manga/anime than other things.

This, would be more about anime pics that I like, I tend to search for pics alot of my favorite females from anime. What I dislike about doing that is when there is not munch pics of a character that I like, which is sometimes too few and the artists. Tend to spend most of their times focusing on then other characters of the show or that the show is not popular enough and barely. Has any sort of pics for it in the first place.

• 2 years later...

Pet Peeve 1: Killing off a main or secondary character when doing so doesnt really progress the story.  Essentially if the story can be just as good whether the person is alive or not, then they should keep the character alive.  Killing a beloved character does not always add depth or make the show better.

Pet Peeve 2: Harem animes that end with the main character being indecisive as to which girl they like the best.  Sometimes its okay for the character to be indecisive if the series revolves around a character whose dream is to have a harem or does not want to be tied down to just one person.  What i can't stand is an anime guy who is too spineless to make a choice.  I mean its not that damn difficult to pick one (I can do it by the second or third episode at the latest).

Pet Peeve 3: The overuse of nudity and panty shots mixed with a lack of plot.  Nudity and panty shots are fine if they are played for comedic effect from time to time or if it is essential to the episode's plot.  What's not okay is having a girl's clothes ripped off or her underwear exposed every five minutes when it adds nothing to the plot.

On 8/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, Ghostblade913 said:

When a girl constantly hits a guy (mostly tsunderes) for no reason. Also when the reason was a complete accident like when the guy accidentally walk in on the girl taking a bath. It doesn’t even work the other way around where for so,e reason if the girl walks in on the guy she acts like he is the pervert for some reason.

+1, that is so annoying

• 1 month later...

random fanservice
no season 2
bad choices of production team so source material is disrespected bc they made a bad anime (EXAMPLES C^3 CURSEDXCUBEXCURIOUS NO ITS NOT HENTAI, LITERAL ONLY SCENE THAT MADE THE SERIES WORTH WATCHING IN ANIME FORM WAS THE GUILLOTINE SCENE! YUMEKUI MERRY!!! IT'S NOT THAT MOE DIRECTOR GET IT RIGHT AND WHY THE FUCK WAS THE MAIN BADIE IN ONLY 1 EPISODE LIKE WTF!! AND WHOSE THIS BEOTCH THAT SWOOPS IN AND GOES "ME BAD RAWR!" FRUIT OF GRIASA OKAY THIS ONE IS A HENTAI GAME TURNED ANIME. BUT EVEN IN THE GAME YOU DON'T GET THEM ALL YOU GET 1 OR NONE. ITS NOT A FUCKING HAREM. THEN U PLAY OFF THE MC'S BACKSTORY LIKE A JOKE!, 
Now i love those animes bc of their source not bc of the anime I do own all 3 of the series on dvd soooo,,,,, T_T

12 EPISODES A SEASON! THATS LESS THAN REAL TV THEY HAVE 52 WEEKS IN A YEAR AT LEAST DO 21 EPISODES A SEASON FFS 

BOOM my complaints with anime

5 hours ago, StormrReaper said:

FRUIT OF GRIASA OKAY THIS ONE IS A HENTAI GAME TURNED ANIME. BUT EVEN IN THE GAME YOU DON'T GET THEM ALL YOU GET 1 OR NONE. ITS NOT A FUCKING HAREM. THEN U PLAY OFF THE MC'S BACKSTORY LIKE A JOKE!, 

To be fair, they did  retcon the VNs into a harem in Labyrinth and Eden. At first I was kind of wary of it, but I think they managed to make it work in the end. I still think the anime adaptation of Grisaia was a rather poor choice given how much exposition and how long the VNs are. 

21 minutes ago, Canticle Natura said:

To be fair, they did  retcon the VNs into a harem in Labyrinth and Eden. At first I was kind of wary of it, but I think they managed to make it work in the end. I still think the anime adaptation of Grisaia was a rather poor choice given how much exposition and how long the VNs are. 

Don't get me wrong, I own the first 2 VN's and all 3 seasons (Well 2 and the OVA) It wasn't bad. Just the way they forced every characters route into it felt forced hen they should've focused on Yuuji (I thiink that was his name) I mean come on The way they forced the "I saved 5 can I die now" into the first season. That should've came AFTER the events of the last season. Because to be fair. He kinda set up a lot of the disaster for everyone. Except the dude who went ape shit in the school.

On 8/3/2018 at 2:06 PM, Ghostblade913 said:

When a girl constantly hits a guy (mostly tsunderes) for no reason. Also when the reason was a complete accident like when the guy accidentally walk in on the girl taking a bath. It doesn’t even work the other way around where for so,e reason if the girl walks in on the guy she acts like he is the pervert for some reason.

Yep, I've never found the "guy gets his ass kicked for stumbling into a girl's compromising moment" trope that amusing. I'd love to see this happen in reverse one day, where the girl gets hit for walking in on a guy naked, if only to see people overreact to it and for others to point out "Then why is it okay the other way around?" You could practically make an entire series out of deconstructing gender-specific tropes like that.

58 minutes ago, MasterXploder said:

Yep, I've never found the "guy gets his ass kicked for stumbling into a girl's compromising moment" trope that amusing. I'd love to see this happen in reverse one day, where the girl gets hit for walking in on a guy naked, if only to see people overreact to it and for others to point out "Then why is it okay the other way around?" You could practically make an entire series out of deconstructing gender-specific tropes like that.

Don’t watch Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs. The first...seven episodes use it near constantly. Even after she’s almost completely over it, I still can’t like Sagiri thanks to her liberal abuse early on.

4 hours ago, MasterXploder said:

The closest thing I’ve seen to that is charger girl juuden Chan (happens to have a few Omo scenes coincidentally) a guy named Sento is a male tsundere who hits the heroine with a baseball bat several times for offenses way worse than what some anime guys do (showing up at his house for example) unfortunately nobody has a reaction and just reacts the same as they would if the heroine was a hero (though there is a character named Aresta whos a masochist and occasionally gets hit and loves it) it’s a shame since they had a nice chance to deconstruct a common trope