Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Favourite and least favourite games?

I'm guessing this is the place to put this, mostly because it's such a controversial topic. 

I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring to start things off

My favourite game is Xenoblade Chronicles. It's a wonderful game, challenging, interesting, wonderful story, the characters are perfect and such other praises are sung from the heavens. If I had one criticism, it's that the voice acting is sometimes off, especially with Dickson. 

My least favourite game is mostly my least favourite because I dislike the concept. 

Bravely default.

In an RPG I want turn based battles, leveling up and badass attack animations that blow your mind the first time you use them (google Golden sun, it's basically the jesus of roleplaying games) Bravely default has some of these, I won't deny that, but you have to, as the name suggests, default and skip a turn to build up action points or something. I don't want to do this in an rpg

Comparing BD to GS The battles in GS are quick paced once you get past the menus and are only limited by PP or an attack such as a limit break/summon is limited by it's respective charge meter. You don't need to defend every turn in order to swing a hunk of metal at a slime.

Ok, let the gamers rip each other apart on this most holy of battlegrounds!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played many games that are too bad. I really haven't played many games in general. I guess the worst I played might be Need for Speed: the Run, not because it was inherently a bad game, but because it was such a cinematic-cutscene filled disappointment compared with the previous year's Hot Pursuit, which is still the highest rated NFS game.

The best for me constantly changes as I get bored, pick up another game, overplay it, get bored, pick up an old game, and realize that it's still fantastic, or became fantastic. Currently I have to go with TF2, especially since a major content update just came around the corner.

While I'm fairly forgiving of mediocre games. The only one that I just can't stand is Run Like Hell, it's basically a Dead Space clone (though it did come out first) that's not scary, terrible gameplay with the "puzzles", and the story just didn't interest me at all. 

As for favorite game, that too is difficult, mainly because I suck at choosing. I'd say it's the first Ratchet and Clank because that game is why I'm as into them as I am now. 

While I'm fairly forgiving of mediocre games. The only one that I just can't stand is Run Like Hell, it's basically a Dead Space clone (though it did come out first) that's not scary, terrible gameplay with the "puzzles", and the story just didn't interest me at all. 

As for favorite game, that too is difficult, mainly because I suck at choosing. I'd say it's the first Ratchet and Clank because that game is why I'm as into them as I am now. 

I thought Run Like Hell was a pretty cool game, a friend at school told me about and I checked it out and quite liked it, shame it never got a sequel.

• 1 month later...

My favorite game ever is Mega Man X. Every bit of it is just so intricately and carefully designed, aside from Bospider.

I've played my share of actually bad games, feats of terrible and agonizing design, but I can forget those. My least favorite game is Mega Man X6, because it's a main series game that messes up almost everything good the previous games did as well as being poorly designed as a standalone game.

Favorite: Deus Ex franchise, except for Invisible War, that one was kinda bad. The stories are amazing and the games give the player a reasonable amount of decision-making and material to read through the game. It sort of reminds me of those early hypertext novels. Otherwise, great shooter and/or sneak game (perfect blend) with many thought-provoking philosophies concerning biotechnology, conspiracies, government, and morality, among others.

Least Favorite: Among those I've played, probably any number of zombie games. Admittedly, they all scare me...plus they have little to no plot. Those that do have plot I'll give credit, but I won't play them.

• 4 weeks later...

Favourite: Mass effect series. Words can not describe the love I have for this series. Great story, great soundtrack, great characters, an overall amazing universe, and although it has an ending that sucks the quadra balls of Hades, it doesn't discourage me from playing through this trilogy again and again. It's a series that to me, feels perfect in every way. (Also Bioshock:infinite and Dishonoured as honourable mentions.)

Least favourite: Destiny. And to sum up why it's my least favourite. QUOTES!

"I could tell you (insert lore that could be explained)"-The Speaker

"I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain."-Random Exo-woman who to no surprise...isn't named

Marty O'Donnell nailed the soundtrack though.

• 3 weeks later...

Its pretty hard to say what's my favorite game. This will probably seem pretty stereotypical, but if I really had to give one answer I would say Super Mario All Stars on SNES. The classic 8-bit Mario games (16 bit in all stars) are pretty much the basic definitions of what fun gaming is. Simple, easy to pick up, but challenging at the same time, and enough level variety to keep you playing for hours. That game was my childhood essentially.

More recently it would definitely have to be Fallout 4. I'm new to the fallout series. I've known about Fallout since 2, but it was a friend of mine hyping up F3 to me everyday in homeroom in high school that really got me interested. However, I had so many things on my mine at that time like most 9th graders, that I just never got around to picking that one up. Fast forward to a few months ago and I was bored and decided to pick up Fallout 4 from redbox. I was instantly hooked. That game got all of my after work and after school time until a few weeks ago. This is also coming from a guy who normally hates RPG. I just never could get into them. But IDK, its really hard to place but the game just gets the open world experience right. It doesn't have the greatest graphics, and there's a good deal of bugs, but its still fun.

My least favorite game is without a doubt Turning Point Fall of Liberty. That game was so painfully bad, I really don't even want to go into that much detail about it. All I will say is that I use that game as a marker of my transition from trusting dumb kid, to naturally skeptical and scrutinizing young adult. I'm a huge history buff, and I also love alternative history fiction so this seemed right up my alley. This also came right on the heel of me getting really hard into alternative WW2 fiction (i.e. Axis wins), I couldn't believe they would make a game about something so niche and nerdy. Trailers also looked good for early PS3 era. Also, at this point I believe I only had 2 other PS3 games, both of which I had beat, so I was dying for something new. I got it new for $59.99 (no job at this point - so depleted my meager savings), plopped it in, and then ................ ABSOLUTE ****. Broken controls, broken graphics, broken dialogue; I couldn't even get off the first mission. After a frustrating 2 hours I put the game down never to pick it up again. My only regret was that I didn't immediately scratch it and return it claiming a defect, as jerkish as that sounds. I still have it too. Though about returning it a few years back only to discover it had a comically low trade in value, which wasn't that surprising. 

• 2 weeks later...

Favourite: Undertale.

I'd grown tired of the whole JRPG concept of 'kill monsters, to level up, to kill more monsters, to level up more, to be able to kill tougher monsters and the area boss, then rinse and repeat'. Then I found Undertale, which is a big satire of that whole routine. Add that to a very interesting and complex story with lots of hidden lore, and a battle system that rewards you for playing well instead of for how long you've grinded, and you have the perfect game for me.

And the best feature of all: you don't need to hit the fight button. Ever. In fact, you are discouraged from doing so. Nobody has to die, not even a small generic monster that stands on your way.

It's also the only game I recall playing that gives you the choice to be good or evil and sctually punishes you for being evil and rewards you for being good.

Least favourite: Terraria

I can't stress how awful this game is for me. Basically, you are in a world full of materials, that you use to craft weapons, to kill monsters so that you can reach better materials and craft better weapons. Endless cycle.

Also, the world's exploration is obnoxiously limited by its 2D nature, as is the freedom of building stuff. Also, it has no story at all.

It's basically a combination of Minecraft and some JRPG, taking the worst out of each

Honorable mentions for favourite: Darkk souls, starcraft 2, heretic, Lost magic

Honorable mentions for least favourite: Grand Theft Auto series, World of Warcraft

Edited by Yurushite (see edit history)

My favorites are the old Silent Hill games 1-4 made by Team Silent. My least favorite are, of course, the new ones that butcher the series, and the "HD" collection. That shit depresses me...

the HD collection was bad, but I still like all the SH games after 4, I don't think they butchered the series at all.

Favorite Franchise: Fallout. (War. War Never Changes.)

Least Favorite Franchise: Dragon Age. (Fuck you Templars. And you too, Chantry.)

Favorite Individual Game: Undertale. (make sure to brush your teeth before crossing the street)

Least Favorite Individual Game: Civilization 3. (Where the hell did that aluminum go?!)

A friend of mine who is into XCOM in a big way has been trying to make me a convert, but it's very slow going.

Prepare for the casualness.

Favorite Games: Life is Strange, Skyrim, Doom 2 and 64, Beyond Two Souls

Favorite Series: The Sims (particularly 3 and 4), StarFox, and most Zelda games, though I'm not heavily into Zelda anymore.

Least favorite game: This is really hard, because I don't usually play a game long enough to decide that it's bad, I just get bored with it and move on. I really can't answer this one properly.

I really don't like any game that has turn based attacking (especially menus), or forced to attack in any way (such as not being able to leave an area unless you fight.) Anything that puts too much emphasis on fighting and not enough into the story or other gameplay elements. I couldn't enjoy games that probably had a great story like Undertale or Final Fantasy because of this. I also never played much of the gameboy pokemon games because of the turn based attacks. It's just so tedious and boring I end up fleeing every fight just so I can actually move on. Random battles are also extremely annoying.

I suppose I'm also not a fan of any Eastern style games.