Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Life is Strange

I don't know what happened to the video game thread, but this game deserves it's own thread anyway. I'm posting about it because I want people to experience the joy and serenity that I have found in this newish game, Life is Strange.

If you hated the gameplay style of The walking dead, hate making choices that affect the story line or just don't enjoy story driven games, then I'm afraid this may not be the game for you.

Beautiful music, and great characters tied into what is shaping out to be a immersive story is what this game is about. It's easy to play, controls are easy to pick up too.

There's currently only one episode out with the second coming out in mid March then 6 weeks between each episode after that. There's also a very small and minor omorashi reference in the middle of the first episode.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319630/

If you play it, I'd like to know what you think of it as well as any general discussion about the game.

Spoilers may be below this point, read at your own risk.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the interesting things that I saw among the theories is that we don't see Kate when Max comes back either. I found that kinda curious. Does it depend on if you saved her normally or not...I dun

Episode 4 is out!  I'm freaking out!

Hulk angry! I can't hear any of the cutscenes.   The audio is messed up in this version. Couldn't load the game without disabling my audio then turning it back on after.  Still not done but i'm l

Posted Images

I haven't played it hands on, but I've seen countless let's plays of it. 

At first I thought it was going to be completely crap with the reverse time mechanic, but it's actually pretty frickin badass. When the girl (Dana I think) wouldn't let her roommate out of her room cause she thinks she's been messing with her man, I couldn't help but think "I wonder what things would be life if she had to pee." and you had a time limit to get the evidence that she was framed by that one popular chick or she'd wet.

I played through it all. Pretty fun overall, and a very good plot. I despised things like "cereal" and "hella" though. Gah. Hahaha.

Very good selection of music, but what do you expect from a bunch of French hipsters?

Sparklehorse's Piano Fire was in it. I heard that years and years ago. I freaked when I heard something like that in a GAME.

Absolutely loved it. I found myself sitting there watching the subtitles after episode 1 had ended. Have paid for the whole series and can't wait for episode 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Second episode came out today.

Not going to post spoilers... but be careful with your choices in this one, and study everything that you can look at. An extremely major decision happens.

If you want to discuss what you did, use spoiler tags like [ spoiler ] stuff [ /spoiler ] I would love to know what you guys did and thought about this episode.

This isn't a major spoiler and you won't understand until you get to this point but...

she died :(

The second episode was intense. Gods. And I'd forgotten about the "I nearly wet myself" line. Makes me wonder if she really did wet herself in that other scene in ep2.

Seems possible. It would make sense given the situation she was put in. 

And yes, the decisions you had to make were intense. I felt bad about

not saving her at the end.

But I have decided to not go back and fix it. It was fate.

Also, that fucking bottle. :|

• 1 month later...

I've never been affected like this by a game before. The ending to this episode is shocking to say the least. 

I'm speechless.

Anyone else felt the same way?

Yeah, I played it last night and at the end when the "event" happened and she came back and everything was different I thought it was good but then the very end shocked me and I was like " :gasp:" all through the credits.

I thought I was starting to understand what was going on until this happened. I really love this game.

Like Antifairy, no game has affected me nearly this strongly. The beginning was creepy, the last parts of the game were "heavy" and powerful (as in, I was sitting there going "Wow!" to myself), and the ending had me fighting to keep from crying. Ho-lee shit.

Ended up just sitting there watching the credits 'till they were over, like I did after Episode 1. And I thought the Episode 2 ending was powerful.

I like that they have compiled a list of support numbers and web sites that they show you at the end of each episode. Shows how seriously they take the subjects they bring up.

Edited by Hopeful (see edit history)

I like that they have compiled a list of support numbers and web sites that they show you at the end of each episode. Shows how seriously they take the subjects they bring up.

Yeah the only thing I found slightly weird about that was it seemed everywhere but the US has numbers you can call "even if you aren't suicidal".

However there supposedly a steam group for people that have been emotionally scarred by Life is Strange. 

I posted my thoughts and feelings on the steam discussions so I'll just copy paste it here in a spoiler, since it obviously contains them. Friendly reminder to anyone else to do the same when posting things from the game.

I was utterly shocked at the ending. I shed a tear, but I wouldn't say I cried. I wasn't expecting it to be that way. I knew Chloe was going to be different even before the end game photos, since we've seen previously what she looked like back then. Then I saw the wheel chair rolling up to the door before the camera panned up to Chloe. So I was like, okay she broke her legs somehow. Then the medical tubes, that's where I froze. Seeing her in that state just broke my heart, time felt like it froze too. I was just speechless, thoughtless, and I had no idea how to handle what I just saw.

I have been depressed since then. Though I struggle with depression anyway. Nothing serious, just emotional emptiness and shit. But this actually brought out my emotions. I felt bad, sad, I almost felt like I wanted to puke. I could feel what I thought Max was feeling. Very strange.

It took me a little to come to terms with what I experienced and why. It's not just about the state that Chloe was in, though the medical tubes and equipment scared me a bit. But just imagine what Chloe thinks. This is her reality, everyone close to her apparently already has known this reality. Except Max. That part is what scares me I think. Her best friend went from the punk rebel that Max knows and loves to this.

I don't know much more of a way to explain this, but that's what is depressing. I think I actually felt Max's feelings.

Since the strings for the support groups said completely different things, my guess is they were contributed by different organisations or other instances which had nothing to do with one another, hence only the US one having that label. I suppose you can call any of them if you need help. Then again, maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Yeah, I was shocked myself. I won't say I cried, but I was at that stage where you're almost crying, but you manage to hold it back enough that it comes out as a kind of "laughter" instead, if you know what I mean?

And yeah, I can see how things like that can upset you. I was a bit upset with the themes of episode 2.

So for those of you who want to try LiS, and are affected by certain topics, trigger warnings for content related to

sexual assault and suicide.