Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

If there was a way for you to live forever would you want to live forever?

If you could live forever would you?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. If you could live forever would you?

• Yes
    • No

I was wondering if you could life forever in good health and never grew old would you want to live forever?

I would not because I think if we did live forever it would make us feel more much pain and sorrow in our lifes then we do now liveing about 85-90 years. (Sometimes more and other times less) As our friends, pets and family die.

(I was thinking about putting this in the debate zone, but I don't think this really is a debate.)

Absolutely not. There's not enough in the world to keep someone occupied forever so you would eventually get bored and want to die. That is, provided you don't already don't want to die from the pain of losing loved ones and so on and so forth.

And if that wasn't enough it, it could very well be something like this where you can't die but your body can still deteriorate. 

And if that wasn't enough it, it could very well be something like this where you can't die but your body can still deteriorate. 

Something you may have not noticed. I did say forever in good health and never grew old. <3 (But you are right if humans could live forever they would grow old and deteriorate.)

Edited by Crona (see edit history)

Absolutely. Without a doubt.

I also personally believe a lot of people that claim they wouldn't are hypocrites. It's easy to say you wouldn't on an online forum, because you know there's likely no chance you'll ever be faced with such a decision.

I would not because I think if we did live forever it would make us feel more much pain and sorrow in our lifes then we do now liveing about 85-90 years. (Sometimes more and other times less) As our friends, pets and family die.

You say that like that's a bad thing. Life would not be worth living without a little pain. We all have to face pain, and pain makes us grow and mature.

Absolutely not. There's not enough in the world to keep someone occupied forever so you would eventually get bored and want to die. That is, provided you don't already don't want to die from the pain of losing loved ones and so on and so forth.

Not enough in this world to keep someone occupied forever? Sure there is.There's endless amounts of enjoyment that can be found in life.

Who wants to live forever,
Who dares to love forever,
When love must die.

>.< But in all seriousness, I'd think I would like to live forever. I mean yea it would be sad seeing your loved ones die but I'd like to see what the world comes to and to do all the things I would have never had time to do. You could learn so many new skills and travel the world meeting tones of people.

You say that like that's a bad thing. Life would not be worth living without a little pain. We all have to face pain, and pain makes us grow and mature.

Yes it does, but at the sametime no one wants to feel pain or sorrow. Sure once we get over it we grow and mature, but it may take years to get over the loss of a loved one... However pain and sorrow are something we need in our lifes so we can grow up and mature. <3

You just refuted your own point.

it may take years to get over the loss of a loved one... However pain and sorrow are something we need in our lifes so we can grow up and mature. <3

You move on eventually and you meet more people to love and enjoy life with. I like feeling a bit of pain every now and then, it teaches me to appreciate life and the things I cherish more. I wouldn't want to live life without any pain.

You just refuted your own point.

You move on eventually and you meet more people to love and enjoy life with.

I said was pain and sorrow makes us grow and mature I never said it did not what I said was that living forever would make us feel much more pain and sorrow. <3

living forever would make us feel much more pain and sorrow. <3

This is what it means to be alive, this is not a bad thing. You will feel much more pain and sorrow, and you'll also feel just as much more happiness.

You're basically saying that you'd just get sick of life eventually and would want to end it all after 80 or so years.

I would not. I love life, and I would continue living it forever if I could.

No question about it.

That's what it means to be alive. You will feel much more pain and sorrow, but you'll also feel just as much more joy and happiness.

You're basically saying that you'd just get sick of life eventually and would want to end it all after 80 or so years.

I would not. I love life. I would continue living it forever if I could.

No I would not end it or want it to end. <3 It is not how long you live it is how good your life was. <3 I mean would you like a very long sad life or a short happy life?

I see your point that you would like to live forever, but as I am sure you know this you and me are different people and what would make you happy may not make me happy just as what would make me happy may not make you happy. <3

I mean would you like a very long sad life or a short happy life?

You're again falsely claiming that the longer you live, the more painful and miserable life will become, as if life is just an infinite spiral downwards into pain misery.

I absolutely wholeheartedly refute this. With age comes maturity, wisdom, and a greater appreciation for life, not endless misery. If you were to live forever, life 300 years from now could be just as enjoyable as it is for you today. There is no logical reason to assume that life for you decades or centuries now will be miserable. Claiming this to be so just because people around you may eventually die is simply ridiculous.

I'm not going to answer your question, because it's logically flawed. I would live a long life and make the best of it that I could. The length of your life does not in any way dictate how enjoyable or miserable it will be.

Having an immortal vampire as an original character, I have given great thought to the idea of corporeal immortality, and imagined myself in the same position. Needless to say, the challenge of living life as a creature that isn't totally human would be a challenge unto itself. But let's not drag things off topic.

Yes, I would accept the chance to live forever. No one truly knows what happens after death, and whether it will actually bring peace or not, so this would be an insurance of sorts. I also have an innate fear of growing older and becoming less physically capable. This is a pretty apparent solution to that. Continue gaining wisdom and knowledge, and being able to watch and observe the progress of the human race from afar or take a direct role in it. More notably, I would love to take a page from Nikki's book and learn multiple styles of martial arts. It would also be the opportune time to see if the human mind truly has a limit to its memory capacity.

Yes, loved ones would be lost as time passed on, but that never really changes, does it? The only way to stop that from happening is for you to die first, in which case, you may as well off yourself now because you never know when the end will come for someone else.

Absolutely not. There's not enough in the world to keep someone occupied forever so you would eventually get bored and want to die.

I have to disagree with this to a point. The Earth is filled with multiple evolving societies and the human race is ever-changing, both socially and technologically. We do not stagnate. Odds are that no one is going to run out of things to do. Also, I'm assuming that we still won't be able to survive things such as the sun going nova, so there WILL be an end, it just won't be dying of old age or disease.

If OP means a truly immortal life, free of the inhibition of known physics, then I affirm the point that we will not run out of things to do. There's a whole damn universe out there and you can travel through vacuum and dark space. Enough said.

I think I, personally, would grow tired of living unless something happened along to change that. I don't really think I'd want to live forever. Perspective of life may change though, if you'd know you'd live forever in perfect health, never growing old. Value of life would go down, probably. 

Well it depends if I still would have the opportunity to commit suicide, just in case that someone decides to torture me for eternity, hoping that I will tell the secret of eternal life, or that I catch a normally deathly disease like cancer, or something similar, then I would gladly welcome eternal life with open arms. Otherwise it could become more of a curse than a gift over time.

Well it depends if I still would have the opportunity to commit suicide, just in case that someone decides to torture me for eternity, hoping that I will tell the secret of eternal life.

Yeah, what I think people don't realize is you're not going to get away with living forever. Someone, somewhere down the line is going to start getting suspicious as to why you haven't died yet after having lived 200 years and still look young. Spending eternity as a science experiment may be fun for some people though. 

I was wondering if you could life forever in good health and never grew old would you want to live forever?

I would love to live forever. I think the best part would be not getting sick or growing old. There is so much in this world I want to do and see. I have one question though. Could you still starve to death or get too dehydrated? I was just wondering if you meant only an ageless life or one more like immortality with no chance of death.

The more time I get to live, the more time I get to learn more stuff

I definitely don't think I'd want to live forever, but if I could live a really, really long time, I would.

I would use all the extra time to reach a potential I could never reach with a 80-90 year lifespan

The idea of getting a super long lifespan is really exciting to me because I would get to see science and technology advance, and those are my favorite things. I'd have enough time of learning and studying that I could even contribute to science myself, if just had much more time and resources.

I'd also want to live long enough to be able to travel through space. That's a BIG fantasy of mine.